Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » pro and con of custom datatypes
pro and con of custom datatypes [message #270867] Fri, 28 September 2007 03:55 Go to next message
andrewnq
I am currently having furious arguments with contractors who want to use custom datatypes for everything. My view is that the extra cost in development, implementation and maintenance outweighs any perceived benefit.

The costs include the difficulty due to the non-transparent nature of custom datatypes, constant cascading invalidations of any package and datatypes that use them due to the use of package methods which when being developed invalidate the types and packages.

Does any else have any views pro or con?

Thanks
Re: pro and con of custom datatypes [message #270871 is a reply to message #270867] Fri, 28 September 2007 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Generally speaking, I don't see pro.
In very special case, there may be.

Regards
Michel
Re: pro and con of custom datatypes [message #270877 is a reply to message #270867] Fri, 28 September 2007 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Custom datatypes can have their use, just like other features.
It is wrong to use them "for everything".
It depends on what you consider custom datatypes; do they create object types, or subtypes? Using object types can serve a purpose, whereas I never saw any _real_ benefits of subtypes.
Re: pro and con of custom datatypes [message #271052 is a reply to message #270877] Fri, 28 September 2007 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrewnq
They are being used for everything. types, subtypes, methods. Across the board. procedures and packages. the problems they cause me are the instability of the shared dev environment due to the complex dependencies, the lack of transparency due to the hidden nature of the methods. The knock-on consequences are quite painful. I have wasted days trying to sort out other problems only to find that the custom datatypes have caused the initial problem. It takes a lot of work to follow the processs.

The instability would not be such an issue if all developers had their own enironment.

Because of all these issues I think it will be very difficult to maintain the application.

Thanks
Re: pro and con of custom datatypes [message #271082 is a reply to message #271052] Sat, 29 September 2007 01:34 Go to previous message
Frank
Sounds to me that you already know your answer. Smile

If you think this application is too difficult to maintain, _because_ of the use of this option (that goes for any option), and the developers cannot convince you of the urge and need of the use of this option, then you shold tell them to redo the development.

Of course this is a bit of a grey area, depending on (amongst other things) your knowledge of PL/SQL development. As an example: like I said before, using object-types can be great for solving certain problems, but it requires a (slight) shift in mind-setting to get a grip.
Previous Topic: Problem with grant command
Next Topic: Bulk Fetch Through Multiple Tables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 18:57:20 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09615 seconds