Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » problems with listeners
problems with listeners [message #267080] Wed, 12 September 2007 07:58 Go to next message
thorin666
Hi to everyone
oracle version Release 10.2.0.1.0 under linux
i am trying to put 4 listeners in my db but when i use a "ps -ef" i get only one of them
sorry i didn't know about the code-/code tags Sad
my tnsnames.ora is that
nombre =
(DESCRIPTION =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL= TCP)(HOST = 10.1.0.50)(PORT = 1521)
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL= TCP)(HOST = 10.1.0.50)(PORT = 1522)
  )
)
  (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = nombre)(SERVER=DEDICATED)
  )
)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

my listener.ora is that
LISTENER1 =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
  (ADDRESS =(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.1.0.50)(PORT = 1521)))
SID_LIST_LISTENER1 =
    (SID_LIST = 
    (SID_DESC =
    (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1)
    (SID_NAME = nombre)))

LISTENER2 =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS =
    (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.1.0.50)(PORT = 1522)))
SID_LIST_LISTENER2 =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1)
    (SID_NAME = nombre)))

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

when i use lsnrctrl listener2 start said that is allready started

does anyone know where is my fault? thnx in advance

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2007 08:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: problems with listeners [message #267087 is a reply to message #267080] Wed, 12 September 2007 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You still don't follow the rules.

Please read and follow OraFAQ Forum Guide, especially "How to format your post?" section.
Make sure that lines of code do not exceed 80 characters when you format. Use the "Preview Message" button.
Please always post your Oracle version (4 decimals).

Regards
Michel
Re: problems with listeners [message #267091 is a reply to message #267080] Wed, 12 September 2007 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thorin666
sorry michael i used tab to do my post in format but something i make wrong because my code was without format let me check it again
Re: problems with listeners [message #267131 is a reply to message #267080] Wed, 12 September 2007 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>i am trying to put 4 listeners in my db
WHY??

How many Network Interface Cards are installed on this system?
Re: problems with listeners [message #267134 is a reply to message #267131] Wed, 12 September 2007 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thorin666
anacedent wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 09:51
>i am trying to put 4 listeners in my db
WHY??

How many Network Interface Cards are installed on this system?

only 2 but we are testing a lot of things and that's why my boss ordered me to do that. btw is the number of listeners related with the number of the network interfaces cards?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2007 09:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: problems with listeners [message #267141 is a reply to message #267080] Wed, 12 September 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
A listener ONLY takes action in establishing the connection for a NEW session into the database from a client.

Any NIC can ONLY be talking to a single client at any moment it time. Therefore have two listener processes servicing the same NIC is a wasteful/useless implementation. You can not have two listeners servicing the same port. Therefore if you configure two listeners (on different ports) but on same NIC, by definition one listener will ALWAYS be idle because the NIC would be busy utilizing the "other" port# being serviced by the "other" listener.

Simply put, the NIC is a bottleneck & can only be communicating with a single client at any point in time.

In other words, you won't make ANTHING faster by having multiple listeners servicing the same NIC.

Again, the listener ONLY comes into play upon creating initial session connection into the DB; and never does anything more.
Re: problems with listeners [message #267145 is a reply to message #267141] Wed, 12 September 2007 10:22 Go to previous message
thorin666
anacedent wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 10:19
A listener ONLY takes action in establishing the connection for a NEW session into the database from a client.

Any NIC can ONLY be talking to a single client at any moment it time. Therefore have two listener processes servicing the same NIC is a wasteful/useless implementation. You can not have two listeners servicing the same port. Therefore if you configure two listeners (on different ports) but on same NIC, by definition one listener will ALWAYS be idle because the NIC would be busy utilizing the "other" port# being serviced by the "other" listener.

Simply put, the NIC is a bottleneck & can only be communicating with a single client at any point in time.

In other words, you won't make ANTHING faster by having multiple listeners servicing the same NIC.

Again, the listener ONLY comes into play upon creating initial session connection into the DB; and never does anything more.

i didn't know anything about that, i was trying to use multiple ports in the same nic to distinct groups of users, but, if it the same.. i will be doing useless things
thnx for your help Very Happy

Previous Topic: No Listener
Next Topic: Regarding ORA-00119 error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:04:27 CDT 2024