Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » About listener and services
About listener and services [message #265882] Fri, 07 September 2007 13:47 Go to next message
kaustubh
Hi All,
I have redundant system with Oracle database as Primary on one side and Standby on the other.

1) When the database on Active is up and Running as Primary and on Inactive it is started and mounted as Standby, I am able to connect from Active database to the Standby and viceversa.

2) Then I shutdown the database on both the sides. Then I tried to connect from Active to Standby database and viceversa. I was able to connect this time as well

3) The active and standby database were shutdown . Then I stopped the listener and restarted it. This time when I tried to connect from Active to Standby and I was unable to connect. It gave me the error ORA-12514 The listener supports no services

4) I started the Active database. Then I tried to connect to Active from Standby side. This time I was able to connect.

So it appears that ever since I stopped and started the listener, I am able to connect to the other side only if the instance is up. If the instance is down then I get an error.

This was not the case before re-starting the listener.

Could you please let me know why I am facing this issue after restarting the listener?

Waiting for your kind reply.

Thanks and regards,
Kaustubh Kane.
Re: About listener and services [message #265886 is a reply to message #265882] Fri, 07 September 2007 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Could you please let me know why I am facing this issue after restarting the listener?

Something changed.

Are these "sides" to which your refer, topside & bottomside OR leftside & rightside OR inside & outside?

Please read & follow posting guidelines in STICKY post at top of this forum.
Re: About listener and services [message #265894 is a reply to message #265886] Fri, 07 September 2007 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kaustubh
Hi,

The "sides" are the Active and the Standby side. Sorry if I was not very clear.

You said something changed. Do you mean that something might have changed in the tnsnames.ora or listener.ora before the listener was restarted and hence I faced this issue?

Waiting for your kind reply.

Thanks and regards,
kaustubh Kane.
Re: About listener and services [message #265945 is a reply to message #265882] Sat, 08 September 2007 01:04 Go to previous message
Arju

What's the entry of your listener file? Try lsnrctl status to check whether it can read it or not. Where error comes. Where it can't read. Fix it.
Previous Topic: distributed database
Next Topic: listener on port 8080
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:37:54 CDT 2024