Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Correct script using indexes
Correct script using indexes [message #264933] Wed, 05 September 2007 01:18 Go to next message
ruzibizam
Hi! Please help if anybody know the solution.

My oracle 9i database has a performance problem using indexes.
Please is anyone who can correct this script using indexes?

• Attachment: Script.doc
    (Size: 36.50KB, Downloaded 381 times)
Re: Correct script using indexes [message #264934 is a reply to message #264933] Wed, 05 September 2007 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
We don't download doc files, just txt ones.

Please read and follow OraFAQ Forum Guide.
Please always post your Oracle version (4 decimals).

If it is a performances problem, post it in the appropriate forum and first read the sticky on top of this performances forum.

Regards
Michel
Re: Correct script using indexes [message #265195 is a reply to message #264933] Wed, 05 September 2007 13:37 Go to previous message
michael_bialik
Hi, as I see it - your script (is it a FORM ?) has a number of problems:

1. Cursor:

CURSOR C_EMP IS
    SELECT /*+ INDEX(COMPTE_COTISANT CPTCOT_NUM_COTI_I)*/ DISTINCT NUM_COTI,TRI_REFE FROM COMPTE_COTISANT 
    WHERE NUM_COTI <= NVL(:NUM_COTI_FIN,NUM_COTI) AND NUM_COTI >= NVL(:NUM_COTI_DEB,NUM_COTI) AND COD_OPE_COTI NOT IN (21,23)
    AND MATR IS NOT NULL
    ORDER BY NUM_COTI, TRI_REFE;

is performing FULL table scan of COMPTE_COTISANT table, because you have following condition:
NUM_COTI <= NVL(:NUM_COTI_FIN,NUM_COTI) AND NUM_COTI >= NVL(:NUM_COTI_DEB,NUM_COTI)

NUM_COTI is used on both sides of logical operator, so no index will help you.

What are the chances of passing NULL as a value for :NUM_COTI_DEB and :NUM_COTI_FIN ?
If your application passing NULLS and values then split the statement in 2 ( 1 with values and the second without any condition on NUM_COTI ). At least in first case you will be able to use indexes.

2. The statement
SELECT /*+ INDEX(COMPTE_COTISANT CPTCOT_NUM_COTI_I)*/ COUNT(DISTINCT NUM_COTI||TO_CHAR(TRI_REFE,'Q/YYYY')) INTO NBR_EMP
    FROM COMPTE_COTISANT 
    WHERE MATR IS NOT NULL  AND COD_OPE_COTI NOT IN (21,23)
    AND NUM_COTI <= NVL(:NUM_COTI_FIN,NUM_COTI) AND NUM_COTI >= NVL(:NUM_COTI_DEB,NUM_COTI);

Performs another FULL table scan for the same reason.

3. The statement
SELECT /*+ INDEX_JOIN(COMPTE_COTISANT )*/ MIN(DAT_VALE) INTO MIN_DAT_VALE
	FROM COMPTE_COTISANT
	WHERE NUM_COTI = V_EMP.NUM_COTI AND TRI_REFE=V_EMP.TRI_REFE AND COD_OPE_COTI NOT IN (21,23);

is used to select rows that are already selected inside the cursor, so I recommend rewriting the cursor to avoid duplicate access to the same data:

CURSOR C_EMP IS
    SELECT NUM_COTI,TRI_REFE,MIN(DAT_VALE) DAT_VALE FROM COMPTE_COTISANT 
    WHERE NUM_COTI <= NVL(:NUM_COTI_FIN,NUM_COTI) AND NUM_COTI >= NVL(:NUM_COTI_DEB,NUM_COTI) AND COD_OPE_COTI NOT IN (21,23)
    AND MATR IS NOT NULL
GROUP BY NUM_COTI, TRI_REFE

4. The statement
SELECT /*+ INDEX(EMPLOYEUR EMP_PK) */COD_POS_EMPL, DAT_POSI INTO V_COD_POS, V_DAT_POSI
FROM EMPLOYEUR
WHERE MATR = V_EMP.NUM_COTI;
may be replaced by JOIN inside the cursor:
CURSOR C_EMP IS
  SELECT T.NUM_COTI, T.TRI_REFE, T.DAT_VALE, E.COD_POS_EMPL, E.DAT_POSI 
  FROM 
    ( SELECT NUM_COTI,TRI_REFE,MIN(DAT_VALE) DAT_VALE FROM COMPTE_COTISANT JOIN 
      AND MATR IS NOT NULL
      GROUP BY NUM_COTI, TRI_REFE ) T LEFT JOIN EMPLOYEUR E ON E.MATR = T.NUM_COTI 

5. The statement
SELECT VAL_NUME + 1 INTO V_NUM_OPER
	    FROM NUMERO_AUTOMATIQUE
	    WHERE COD_NUME = 3
	    FOR UPDATE OF VAL_NUME;

is locking the selected row, so you have severe concurrency problem ( if a number of users running the script - they have to wait one on the oother).

Why don't you use sequence instead?

Michael

Previous Topic: DBMS_SCHEDULER job does not run
Next Topic: Please help in refining/modifying the sql.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 15:16:10 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12313 seconds