Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Dynamically controlling the flow of the script
Dynamically controlling the flow of the script [message #262258] Sat, 25 August 2007 13:15 Go to next message
thefoxalmighty
Hi,

I want to control the flow of the pl/sql script by using a prompt.

Can any one suggest how ll i do that coz what happens is when i use a dynamic variable, it prompts in the begining itself. And hence i want an alternative.. can u suggest something?

Re: Dynamically controlling the flow of the script [message #262267 is a reply to message #262258] Sat, 25 August 2007 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyboy
Hi,

no way I am aware of inside PL/SQL block. You can just issue DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP procedure to suspend a session for a given time period.

If you are able to split the PL/SQL script into smaller pieces, then you can issue SQL*Plus PAUSE command among them.
Re: Dynamically controlling the flow of the script [message #262269 is a reply to message #262258] Sat, 25 August 2007 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There is no way as a PL/SQL block executes on the server and then report to the client.
If you need to interact with the client, split your PL/SQL block.

Regards
Michel
Re: Dynamically controlling the flow of the script [message #262277 is a reply to message #262269] Sat, 25 August 2007 17:06 Go to previous message
cmerry
As was stated by Michel, PL/SQL is a server-side language. To interact with PL/SQL, you must use a front-end tool that communicates with the database. There are several ways to do this; however, most may be way more involved than you were hoping for. Here are a few ways:

Using purely PL/SQL, you can either use Oracle Forms (part of the Developer Suite) or the web toolkit (along with the apache web server with the PL/SQL module available in the Oracle companion installation).

You can also use another language like Java, Visual Basic, C++, etc.
Previous Topic: Help needed to solve this sql
Next Topic: sqlplus connection issue - ora -01017
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Dec 06 14:26:37 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.17660 seconds