Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Can you use an Index in the definition or use of a view ?
Can you use an Index in the definition or use of a view ? [message #2159] Tue, 25 June 2002 04:06 Go to next message
Mark Grimshaw
Can I do the above ?
Re: Can you use an Index in the definition or use of a view ? [message #2161 is a reply to message #2159] Tue, 25 June 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
view by itself, doesnt occupy any space or storage.
So what is the neeed for an index over a view?
Re: Can you use an Index in the definition or use of a view ? [message #2174 is a reply to message #2159] Wed, 26 June 2002 01:04 Go to previous message
Mark Grimshaw
Mahesh,

Convinience ! Let me explain a little.

I am porting implementing an Oracle db that will be used by some Fortran code that is being ported (a lot of code). Within the Fortran code embedded SQL statements refer to the database through views and indexes. For example there is statements like this:

SELECT * FROM MyView1 WHERE COMPOSITE_INDEX = field1;field2;field3.

The convinience is due to the indexes being composites of up to 4 fields on the base table.

I can't remember the exact syntax but I have been 'told' that I must try and reduce the amount of code re-writing. Maybe I should re-phrase the question. Can I *reference* an index in the definition of a view ?

Mark
Previous Topic: Trigger sequence problem
Next Topic: plsql fuction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:42:33 CDT 2024