Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » spawning multiple processes
spawning multiple processes [message #254431] Thu, 26 July 2007 13:53 Go to next message
dzt52r
How can I spawn multiple concurrent processes from within a procedure? Our process for loading a DWH is to alter the current subpartition of out bitmap indexes unusable, load data and then rebuild the unusable index subpartitions. The current process generates sql commands and spools them to a file. A step in the script splits the file into multiple files and then multiple sqlplus processes are run in the background. We are in process of upgrading to 10.2.0.3 and I would like to keep this process in the database and not generate flat files. Can I spawn concurrent processes to rebuild the indexes and track the outcome of their execution, or is this going to be way to complex.

Any ideas/advice is appreciated,

Bill
Re: spawning multiple processes [message #254441 is a reply to message #254431] Thu, 26 July 2007 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Trifonov
Oracle supports parallel index re-build.
You can find a brief overview of Oracle parallel features here: http://www.akadia.com/services/ora_parallel_processing.html

If you need to execute several statements concurrently from within a procedure you can use DBMS_SCHEDULER or DBMS_JOB packages.

Sounds like you are using a very odd and inefficient way to load your data.
Check out External Tables and SQL Loader. Both methods support parallel execution.
Re: spawning multiple processes [message #255013 is a reply to message #254441] Mon, 30 July 2007 07:30 Go to previous message
dzt52r
Quote:
Sounds like you are using a very odd and inefficient way to load your data.
Check out External Tables and SQL Loader. Both methods support parallel execution.

Unfortunately, this is in production. You can't imagine just how strange it really is.

Thanx for the suggesion, I'll look into using DBMS_SCHEDULER.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2007 07:37] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Conditional Join Help
Next Topic: Create column format of a single row to use as saperate cursor elements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 13:00:09 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.23121 seconds