Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Table Size Remains the Same?
Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24217] Mon, 03 February 2003 09:48 Go to next message
Suchit
hi all,

I had a huge table having close to 1 crore records. Recently i deleted records for previous years as a result of which there are onyl 3 lakh records in it.

However i notice that the table size has not gone down a bit. the tablespace also doesn't seem to be free either. the new table (and the new tablespace) where i transfered the data show data of the size i transfered?

what's the issue here? is it that once the table has been extended it doesn't shrink back automatically? how do i confirm that and how do i free up that space?

eagerly waiting for replies!
Suchit
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24221 is a reply to message #24217] Mon, 03 February 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
deleting records wont release the used space or
HWM ( higwater mark ) is NOT reset.
you have to
coalesce the tablespace
or
export / import with compressed extents
or
use dbms_space .

FYI,
truncating the table, resets the HWM.
But in your case, it is not applicable.
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24229 is a reply to message #24217] Mon, 03 February 2003 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suchit
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks very much. Would you agree with me that tablespace coalesce would be the best option for my case?

and the dbms_space has 2 procedures both of them returning information. u just meant i can get the HWM info using that package or did u mean i could do something more?

Thanks a lot again.
Suchit
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24232 is a reply to message #24229] Mon, 03 February 2003 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sri
You do not have to touch the indexes.
They will be automatically reset.

It is wise to use REUSE STORAGE clause with TRUNCATE though.

Thx,
SriDHAR
Re: Mahesh - What do you mean? [message #24233 is a reply to message #24229] Mon, 03 February 2003 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sri
Mahesh,

I am not sure what you intended to say.
But why would we worry about creating the constraints/objects like triggers on the temp table?

Please note that we are just creating the temp table to temporarily hold the data, we will be dropping the table any way. We are not disturbing the constraints or objects on the ORIG table, TRUNCATE does not touch any constraints, it just flushes the data and resets the HIGH WATER MARK, which is the whole point here.

This method works really neat, we do not have to worry about the dependencies AT ALL.

Thx,
SriDHAR
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24240 is a reply to message #24229] Tue, 04 February 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suchit
Hi Sri/Mahesh

I think Mahesh was having drop in mind at that time. Anyways the solution is great for me. I am really thankful to you 2 guys.

Just for my knowledge, why is it that you guys are not suggesting a tablespace coalesce? its one line command and looks the easiest. Are there some harmful side effects of it?

Suchit
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24246 is a reply to message #24229] Tue, 04 February 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sri
I think tablespace coalesce command coalesces the free extents into one new larger extent of the size required by the tablespace/table as may be the case. It does not reset the HWM of the table itself. It is more of a command than a tool for a DBA to manage the FREE extents in the database. SMON will normally perform this coalescing in the background. At situations, DBA can choose to manually opt to coalaesce. But this does not have to do anything with your issue of HWM.

Thx,
SriDHAR
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24250 is a reply to message #24246] Tue, 04 February 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suchit
Hi Sridhar,

Thanks a ton.

Suchit
Re: Table Size Remains the Same? [message #24253 is a reply to message #24229] Tue, 04 February 2003 12:14 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
true........
I apologize for the confusions~
Previous Topic: Oracle&MsExchange
Next Topic: 9i JOIN question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:11:03 CDT 2024