Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Multiple client versions on same machine
Multiple client versions on same machine [message #245771] Mon, 18 June 2007 14:11 Go to next message
mhibist
I'm an Oracle newbie, and need to understand the client setups. We are currently engineering an upgrade to a Citrix farm, and want to use Oracle for the datastore.

Widows 2003 SP1 for the Citrix servers. Citrix datastore on Solaris 10, running on Sun T2000s.

Oracle version for the Citrix datastore is 10g. The question revolves around an app that uses Oracle 7 (I believe). Will the two clients conflict, and if so, is there any way to work around it?

A re-working of the app may be out of the question due to timeframes.

Thanks in advance!

tw
Re: Multiple client versions on same machine [message #245786 is a reply to message #245771] Mon, 18 June 2007 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I hope I didn't misunderstood your question; if I did, I apologize.

Basically, there *should not* be any problem if you install any number of Oracle clients - just make sure to install each of them into its own Oracle Home (i.e. its own directory / folder).
Re: Multiple client versions on same machine [message #245822 is a reply to message #245771] Mon, 18 June 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mhibist
Thanks for the reply...Do we need to worry about any pathing or other issues? Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm a Citrix engineer, not an Oracle DBA...lol

Thx
Re: Multiple client versions on same machine [message #245861 is a reply to message #245822] Tue, 19 June 2007 01:47 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm not a DBA either, but I *believe* that OUI (Oracle Universal Installer) takes care about adding all directories into path variable(s).

What you might do - at least, what makes my life easier - is to maintain only one copy of the TNSNAMES.ORA file (which holds aliases to all databases available to you). Every new Oracle installation creates its own \network\admin directory with its own copy of this file. So, whenever you add a new DB alias, you have to do that in every TNSNAMES.ORA file. To avoid this pain, choose a directory (you might even create a new one and name it, for example, 'oracle_cfg') and store this file (and, perhaps, PLL's etc.) in there. Tell Oracle to look for TNSNAMES.ORA there by setting a system environment variable called TNS_ADMIN and point it to this directory:
C:\> SET TNS_ADMIN = C:\ORACLE_CFG
Also, you may maintain one copy on the network and point all clients to that file; don't forget to remove local TNSNAMES.ORA files.
Previous Topic: How to create a dmp file with current system date
Next Topic: java.lang.Exception Exception in sending Request null
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:01:01 CDT 2024