Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Performance issue
Performance issue [message #23349] Tue, 03 December 2002 21:18 Go to next message
Andrew G.
Hi,

I am wondering what kind of performance difference can I expect from these two methods of processing:

A) Using a straight statement
UPDATE small_table
SET status = 'invalid'
WHERE EXISTS
(SELECT *
FROM large_table
WHERE small_table.id = large_table.id);

B) Using a cursor

DECLARE CURSOR cursor ...
FOR ....
UPDATE small_table
SET status = 'invalid'
WHERE CURRENT OF cursor
AND EXISTS
(SELECT *
FROM large_table
WHERE cursor.id = large_table.id);
END LOOP;

The small_table would have circa 5000-10000 records and the big one 1-10 million. Using method B) would enable me to do some other things in the processing a lot easier but I still think the performance would be much worse than in A), mainly for context switching and efficiency of looking up indexes. Am I right? However, I've no clue about the actual performance, if it was only, say 20% then I would definitely go with B).

Thanks

Andrew
Re: Performance issue [message #23352 is a reply to message #23349] Tue, 03 December 2002 23:41 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
In general, the single statement approach will be faster and consume fewer resources than a procedural (PL/SQL, cursor loop) option.

As long as you have an index on large_table(id), this should be a fairly quick operation with either approach (although your SQL in option 2 needs the EXISTS clause in the cursor definition, not in the loop).

Without knowing what your "other things" are, I would always at least start with the single statement approach.
Previous Topic: getting rowcount as part of the select field
Next Topic: Regarding sending an email using pl/sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:33:32 CDT 2024