Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Program from V$Session not going away
Program from V$Session not going away [message #241885] Wed, 30 May 2007 18:42 Go to next message
florida
I have Java Servlets and JSP working great with Oracle 9i database using JDBC Thin Driver in our Apache Tomcat Container sitting on Windows 2000 server.

Everytime I go into an Oracle record with my Java front end web page I notice that I am opening a program called JDBC Thin Client.

Basically I am testing it out by opening records on the Front end web page and then checking in SQL Plus what is going on in the database.
I use this command:
select username, program, status, server from v$session where username = 'jones';

The issue is the JDBC Thin Client Program seems to not disappear even though I am closing my database connections in a Java Finally block.

The below shows the output from the SQL Plus if I open 3 different records (open record, then close the record and then open up another record) in my Java web page. SQL Plus results using: select username, program, status, server from v$session where username = 'jones';
Username   Program             Status        Server
jones      JDBC Thin Client    Inactive      Dedicated
jones      sqlplus.exe         Active        Dedicated

It shows JDBC Thin Client program running 3 times.
Is the JDBC Thin Client program draining resources from our Oracle 9i database even if the status says inactive? The JDBC Thin Client Programs seem to not go away.

Please advise.
Re: Program from V$Session not going away [message #241919 is a reply to message #241885] Thu, 31 May 2007 01:03 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The status "inactive" only means that the session is currently not executing something.
If the session is still there then you didn't close it otherwise it'd disappear.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: passing value in a pl/sql block
Next Topic: subquery factoring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 16:27:24 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13170 seconds