Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Creating Views and Indexing Views
Creating Views and Indexing Views [message #23092] Mon, 18 November 2002 04:30 Go to next message
Paul Gibson
Hi,
I am trying to create a view of a large table (1,000,000 rows) which has keys. However, when I run 'help viewname' the output indicates that the resulting view does not contain index/key information. As I intend to use the view rather than the base table to execute queries, I was wondering if the lack of key info will have a detremental effect on the query exectuion time.

Thanks,

Paul
Re: Creating Views and Indexing Views--answered in other forum [message #23096 is a reply to message #23092] Mon, 18 November 2002 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
No Message Body
Re: Creating Views and Indexing Views--answered in other forum [message #23150 is a reply to message #23096] Tue, 19 November 2002 23:55 Go to previous message
Sanjeev Chawla
Hi,

Indexes are always created on the table columns.
These indexes cannot be created on the views b'cause view do not store data instead they are just Strored query or pointing to tables data. The indexes created on the table's columns are always used for views.

Perhaps, the reply will helpful to u.

Thanx

Sanjeev Chawla
Previous Topic: Max table space size ?
Next Topic: oracle9i install on redhat7.0!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:06:03 CDT 2024