Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Data stored in DB is not in the same order as they were inserted
Data stored in DB is not in the same order as they were inserted [message #236732] Thu, 10 May 2007 14:10 Go to next message
mac1sam
Hi,

I am facing an issue w.r.t the ordering of inserted records (around 5000 records at a time) in the table. The scenario is: I have a table B which is populated by a trigger (applied on Table A) after the records are inserted in table A. The trigger looks like:

create or replace TRIGGER trig Insert ON tableA FOR EACH ROW
DECLARE temp integer;
Begin
select tableB_SEQ.NEXTVAL into temp from DUAL;
insert into tableB(col1,col2,col3, primKeyCol)
values (tableAcol1, tableAcol2, tableAcol3 ,temp);

Table B is used by BEA Weblogic internally. So, my job is only to place records sorted by primary key into table B. Fetching / Deleting of records from table B can be done only by BEA internally as I mentioned already ( So, please don't propose the solution of using "ORDER BY" option while reading from table B ... because BEA uses the table ....and its not in my control)

One of the solution that came into my mind is to use ORGANIZATION INDEX. I did that. I created table B with ORGANIZATION INDEX option. As a result, records in Table B were stored in Primary Key order. Perfectly fine. But as I already told, BEA uses this table. It reads the record one at a time, and after reading it, deletes the record from the table. Now the issue arises. As long as u keep on keep on inserting the records in the table, the insertion order is maintained. But when any deletion is performed (either manually / by BEA), and then new records are inserted, the ordering of records are gone.

To resolve this issue, I tried to used Direct-Path Insert option (SERIAL / PARALLEL) in the trigger query. But this also doesn't work.

Can anyone propose the solution for this issue. I really need the solution.

Thanks,
Meghanth Sharma
Re: Data stored in DB is not in the same order as they were inserted [message #236733 is a reply to message #236732] Thu, 10 May 2007 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

There is none.

There is an order if and only if there is an "order by" clause.
Otherwise there is no order.

Regards
Michel
Re: Data stored in DB is not in the same order as they were inserted [message #236817 is a reply to message #236732] Fri, 11 May 2007 01:33 Go to previous message
Frank
What do you mean that this table is used by WL?
WL itself does not use any database table, as far as I know, only applications that run on WL.
Previous Topic: ERROR: ORA-01017
Next Topic: not a valid month error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 15:49:41 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13575 seconds