Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » New Guy With Question
New Guy With Question [message #236346] Wed, 09 May 2007 12:31 Go to next message
Howdy all.

I'm getting into Oracle programming, but I'm in a bind. I have a list of business names (vendors). With this list, I want to create a "cursor for" loop, to create a "vendor code." The vendor code must be: a) The first three characters of the vendor (weeding out punctuation and spaces), b) a four-digit sequential number, after the codes are sorted (eg: WAM0001, WAM0002, WAM0003, etc.)

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to weed out the unwanted characters in "a," and then get a sequence in "b." If anyone can at least point me in the right direction, it would be extremely helpful.

Re: New Guy With Question [message #236355 is a reply to message #236346] Wed, 09 May 2007 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Of course, this is homework.
So start to post what you tried and we'll help you.
Oracle version is mandatory as solution depends on it.

Btw, I assume this a PL/SQL exercise otherwise there is no need of PL/SQL.

You can have a look at:
PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference, there is a section Managing Cursors in PL/SQL
SQL Reference to see what you can do with ROWNUM Pseudocolumn or ROW_NUMBER function and how to concatenate strings and convert number to char with a specific format.

Re: New Guy With Question [message #236505 is a reply to message #236355] Thu, 10 May 2007 02:16 Go to previous message
Michel has an excellent point: you should give something for us to start with. From what I understand you are trying to generate company codes from the company names. You can do so in a single SQL statement. Again, Michel has given you a lot of hints. If you reply with your attempt, I'll post my solution, it is pure SQL. I've used the following built-ins:
  • SUBSTR: We only need 3 characters from the company name. But what happens if the name is only 2 characters?
  • UPPER: It is unclear whether codes can be mixed case. In my solution it's all upper case.
  • REGEXP_REPLACE --> provided that you have Oracle 10g. It is useful to strip special characters
  • ROW_NUMBER() analytic function.
  • TO_CHAR + an explicit numeric format to convert the row_number() to a char

I've given you a lot, so has Michel. Let's see what you can make from this. Good Luck!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2007 02:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ORA-04052: error occurred when looking up remote object
Next Topic: Using COBOL to acess a Oracle databse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 25 19:56:22 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12537 seconds