Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP
DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP [message #231339] Mon, 16 April 2007 10:49 Go to next message
faiz_hyd
Hi,

Was thinking of utilizing this feature to pin some of the Frequently called Packages and other Code DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP .

I couldn't find some details on this utility in documentation, so few questions on this

When we pinned some code which has parameter values, will it get refreshed when we call it again for some other task, or will it keep in buffer the parameter value of the first call.

Second thing when we drop and recreate the Package or code do we have execute this again DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP so as to get the latest code.

oracle Version is 9.2

regards

[Updated on: Mon, 16 April 2007 12:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP [message #231348 is a reply to message #231339] Mon, 16 April 2007 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/
Code is in shared memory.
Parameter and variable values are in session memory.

2/
When you drop and recreate or recompile a package, code in memory is invalidate and will be reloaded at next execution. So you can't execute an old code.

Regards
Michel
Re: DBMS_SHARED_POOL.KEEP [message #231352 is a reply to message #231339] Mon, 16 April 2007 12:41 Go to previous message
smartin
Just curious, but I have been operating under the assumption that pinning code just isn't something needed / worth it anymore (by anymore I mean specifically 10g onwards). There are pretty much always better and more effective things to do with available time.

Does anyone have any specific 10g examples / situations in which you have gone to the trouble and it been worth it?
Previous Topic: Query problem
Next Topic: ORA-00937: not a single-group group function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 23:49:04 CDT 2024