Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Aleatory Numeric or Value error
icon8.gif  Aleatory Numeric or Value error [message #228927] Wed, 04 April 2007 09:50 Go to next message
mestebanpt
Hello everybody.

I'm new in this forum. I've arrived here looking for a problem that I have with an application that I am developping.

The platform I am using is .Net Web (C#) with Oracle 9i.

My problem is with an Stored Procedure that runs well but any times it produces a Numeric or Value Error. Then I rerun the same code that generates the stored, rerun the stored with the same parameters and the error disapears.

The "first" time I run the stored it runs ok but next times it crashes aleatory.

Any body has any suggerence??

Thanks in advance and sorry but my poor english,

Michael.
Re: Aleatory Numeric or Value error [message #228937 is a reply to message #228927] Wed, 04 April 2007 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Unless you posted your code and the definition of objects it access, we can't help you.

Btw, also post your Oracle version.
I mean ALWAYS post your Oracle version.

Regards
Michel
Re: Aleatory Numeric or Value error [message #228954 is a reply to message #228937] Wed, 04 April 2007 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
It sounds like an implicit datatype conversion problem. This often happens when you store numbers in character type columns or variables. In a case like this, Oracle may either convert the Left to a number or the Right to a character.

if empno is number, the Optimizer will convert this:
where empno = '1'
to
where to_char(empno) = '1'
or
where empno = to_number('1')

You should use explicit conversions for numbers, strings and especially dates. Explicit conversions of null usually aren't required (null is varchar2).

Re: Aleatory Numeric or Value error [message #228987 is a reply to message #228954] Wed, 04 April 2007 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mestebanpt
It sounds good !!

I try to revise my stored proc following your suggestion and post results tomorrow.

Regards,

Michael.
Re: Aleatory Numeric or Value error [message #229700 is a reply to message #228987] Mon, 09 April 2007 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Phantom Nitpicker
Excellent word Aleatory, now that I've looked it up Wink

Normally people would use a more common word such as "random", "unpredictable", "intermittent", "occasional" etc, but I think aleatory's meaning of "Dependent on chance, luck, or an uncertain outcome" or "Of or characterized by gambling" is great here.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 April 2007 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Aleatory Numeric or Value error [message #229701 is a reply to message #229700] Mon, 09 April 2007 14:17 Go to previous message
mestebanpt
You are right. I said my english is very litle. Sorry.
Previous Topic: Merge CSV files
Next Topic: HELP!!! Oracle DATE Functions...Query data 5 months prior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 12:43:44 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09886 seconds