Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Problems when searching for NVARCHAR2 in ORACLE 9i over ODBC
Problems when searching for NVARCHAR2 in ORACLE 9i over ODBC [message #227913] Fri, 30 March 2007 03:03 Go to next message
anjcla
I have a UNICODE C++ application that connects via ODBC to a ORACLE 9i database. I need to store multilingual characters (greek, french, german,...) in some fields and use the type NVARCHAR2 for that.
The characterset for the national characters is set to UTF8 in the database. I use a Windows XP client with a german codepage, the ODBC version is 3.525.1117, the version of the ORACLE ODBC driver is 9.11.00.11.

It works correctly to insert greek characters into these NVARCHAR2 fields and get them back (that means they are correctly displayed in my application), so the conversion in UTF8 and from UTF8 seems to work.
But a search for these characters gives no result. If I search in the same field for special german characters I get the expected result.

I read a lot about the setting NLS_LANG in the registry at the client and tried different settings for that (german codepage, UTF8, AL32UTF8) but this didn't make any difference.

I tried and searched for the greek characters in the Enterprise Manager with the normal syntax fieldname='fieldvalue' and it worked correctly.

Do I need to use a special search syntax for these fields?
Or is it necessary to do some manual conversion for the query?
Or are there some ORACLE settings regarding the charactersets that have to be changed?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Anja

Re: Problems when searching for NVARCHAR2 in ORACLE 9i over ODBC [message #227916 is a reply to message #227913] Fri, 30 March 2007 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tahpush

Check This
Re: Problems when searching for NVARCHAR2 in ORACLE 9i over ODBC [message #227924 is a reply to message #227916] Fri, 30 March 2007 03:37 Go to previous message
anjcla
Thank you for this hint. If I understand this correctly that would allow to get only greek contents on a greek client, french content on a french client and so on.
Unfortunately that is not what I need. I need the possibility to work with mixed language content on one client and so I decided for a UNICODE data type.
And it works for inserting retrieving the data... is there some way to search for content that does not belong to my codepage in a NVARCHAR2 field?

Thank you very much,
Anja
Previous Topic: ltrim and rtim and trim
Next Topic: Setting to single row.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 01:16:43 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04946 seconds