Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871).
SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #226164] Thu, 22 March 2007 12:49 Go to next message
poratips
Messages: 345
Registered: April 2005
Location: IL
Senior Member

Hi,
I am trying to load data using sql*loader into my table and when loading through sql*laoder straight it's loading fine but
when I am trying to load through my Unix shell script i am gettiing following error.

SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871).

I have set my unix shell script which calls sql*loader and it gives me above error.
Only the different it's i am using file name as either .txt or .dat and it's works fine but in Unix i am using file name without
any file extension and that's the way i am running my another loader.
We have just upgraded client on our apps server where i am running my unix and sql*loader.(both versions are matching).

Thanks,

[Updated on: Tue, 05 February 2008 00:59] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #227294 is a reply to message #226164] Tue, 27 March 2007 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poratips
Messages: 345
Registered: April 2005
Location: IL
Senior Member
Thanks, it's resolved.
Re: SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #298041 is a reply to message #226164] Mon, 04 February 2008 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orable_bar
Messages: 1
Registered: February 2008
Junior Member
We are having a similar problem.
What solved the issue for you?

Thanks for any help you can give.

B.
Re: SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #298049 is a reply to message #298041] Mon, 04 February 2008 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Messages: 4644
Registered: February 2005
Location: East Coast USA
Senior Member
This is why it is important to always post your solution even if you solve it on your own.

One thing to check for is that you version of sqlldr is the same as the version of your database. Also your NLS settings.

Don't expect an answer from the original poster as they have not been around in months.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 February 2008 15:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #318365 is a reply to message #298049] Tue, 06 May 2008 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rodpd
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
Hi -- This problem was caused for me by using the wrong Oracle env settings. For development and compiling, our department points to 3p Oracle; for sqlldr it's necessary to switch to the Oracle client.

I did this and sqlldr worked.

The main setting to change was ORACLE_HOME and then amend paths accordingly:

setenv ORACLE_HOME /home/oracle/product/10.2.0.1
#setenv ORACLE_HOME /usr1/arbor/3poracle/HPUX

setenv PATH ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin:${PATH}
setenv SHLIB_PATH ${ORACLE_HOME}/lib:${SHLIB_PATH}
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${ORACLE_HOME}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

You then switch back to 3p after you're done with slqldr!

-- Rod
Re: SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #318379 is a reply to message #318365] Tue, 06 May 2008 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Messages: 4644
Registered: February 2005
Location: East Coast USA
Senior Member
rodpd wrote on Tue, 06 May 2008 11:25
For development and compiling, our department points to 3p Oracle;



What is 3p Oracle?
Re: SQL*Loader-282: Unable to locate character set handle for character set ID (871). [message #318617 is a reply to message #318379] Wed, 07 May 2008 05:50 Go to previous message
rodpd
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
I misunderstood the explanation I was given for this error. But the solution is still valid, even though the explanation of what was happening is a little vague.

3p oracle is our company-internal alternative view of the same Oracle client software. Changing the view removed the error.

I've been advised that the error occurred because sqlldr presumably opens some internal Oracle processes and permissions for these were inadequate in the '3p' view, leading to the misleading character set error. Switching to the alternative view solved the permissions problem and sqlldr worked.

Hope this helps point others in the direction of a possible fix when this error occurs.
Previous Topic: exporting data pump file in oralcle
Next Topic: importing problem
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Dec 11 02:43:03 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07950 seconds