Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Dealing with Foreign Language Characters
Dealing with Foreign Language Characters [message #225940] Thu, 22 March 2007 00:54 Go to next message
gkodakalla
Hi,
we have a table where we got some spanish characters for the column where we store the name.
Actual Name of the customer is ABC-DEFG. However, when we select the data from that table,it is getting changed as AB?C-DEFG. I read few websites and found that this is something related to the ability of the client to display the spanish characters. I am using sql*plus and we are using oracle 9i (Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0).

When i used the DUMP function, i see the value is indeed stored properly, however, while retrieving, we are not able to see what is really stored.

My requirement is:

Whatever language characterset our table has, we should be able to view that as it is. Can anyone help me to resolve this problem.
Thanks
Giridhar

Re: Dealing with Foreign Language Characters [message #225945 is a reply to message #225940] Thu, 22 March 2007 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Does your client NLS_LANG contains a character set that knows spanish characters?

Regards
Michel
Re: Dealing with Foreign Language Characters [message #225970 is a reply to message #225940] Thu, 22 March 2007 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkodakalla
Michel,
Thanks for your reply. That value is not set in our client.
When i set NLS_LANG as "NLS_LANG=SPANISH.WE8PC850",
the value is changed to AB¨D-EFGH.

Hence there is some change in the special character. However, i dont get the exact one whatever was stored. I am just trying to find out which is the correct value i need to set for SPANISH and also to avoid this problem for all other languages.

Can you suggest how to do for all other languages, instead of setting for every language.

Thanks again
Giridhar
Re: Dealing with Foreign Language Characters [message #225993 is a reply to message #225970] Thu, 22 March 2007 04:00 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I don't think WE8PC850 knows spanish character.
You should use WE8MSWIN1252, if your terminal allows it.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: get all non system tables & views
Next Topic: Problem executing procedure in a Package
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Dec 06 02:30:05 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.22388 seconds