Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » rollback to savepoint in a package
rollback to savepoint in a package [message #22155] Thu, 26 September 2002 00:19 Go to next message
Dani
Here my question: Is it possible to have a savepoint in one the procedures of a package and to have a rollback to this savepoint in another of these different procedures (some "create tables" have to be rollbackd")
I've tried it with:
savepoint test;

and later with
rollback to savepoint test;

but it didn't work..

Thx so far
Re: rollback to savepoint in a package [message #22165 is a reply to message #22155] Thu, 26 September 2002 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skumar
There is a feature in 8i called AUTONOMOUS TRANSACTION where in if you declare a procedure say as PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION you can control the transaction of this whole process in the calling procedure .i.e whether you wish to commit or rollback in the calling procedure.

say package a has procedure a1
procedure a2

a1 calls a2 and you set a2 pragma AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION after you retunr to a1 you can either to a commit or a rollback of the whole transaction.
Re: rollback to savepoint in a package [message #22167 is a reply to message #22165] Thu, 26 September 2002 10:50 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
You should use the DBMS_TRANSACTION package to manage your savepoints if they span procedures.

create or replace package body foo
is
  procedure a
  is
  begin
    dbms_transaction.savepoint('sp_1');
    insert into ...;
    b;
  end;

procedure b
  is
  begin