Home » Infrastructure » Linux » TOAD on linux
TOAD on linux [message #220836] Thu, 22 February 2007 06:03 Go to next message
sellafrica
Greetings!!

Firsly i would like to know if there is TOAD for linux?
I have a machine that is running Redhat linux EL,orace 10g database and had installed wine on the box,now i wanted to run TOAD on the box i was able to install TOAD but i cannot connect to the DB it has the error "ORACLE Root is not valid".

Anyone can assist?
Re: TOAD on linux [message #220841 is a reply to message #220836] Thu, 22 February 2007 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

Go through below link hope this helps
http://www.rittman.net/2003/12/22/tora-the-linux-alternative-to-toad/

regards
Taj
Re: TOAD on linux [message #220866 is a reply to message #220841] Thu, 22 February 2007 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sellafrica
Thanks,

i tried t configure tora and got the error:

configure:31543: error: Qt () (library qt) not found.
Please check your installation! For more details about this problem,
look at the end of config.log.

Any idea,i am still aslo trying to find the solution to this!!
Re: TOAD on linux [message #220867 is a reply to message #220866] Thu, 22 February 2007 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

HI,

Are you check >>>> config.log. <<<<<

regards
Taj
Re: TOAD on linux [message #221000 is a reply to message #220867] Fri, 23 February 2007 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sellafrica
Yes, the error is from the config.log
Re: TOAD on linux [message #270989 is a reply to message #220841] Fri, 28 September 2007 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chuckh1958

I know this is an old thread but for those who might stumble on it as I have I thought I'd throw in my .02.

Google for "linux +toad" and you are bound to find lots of hits about Tora. I've used toad from it's first freeware version up through version 9. I've used tora 1.3.21. Tora is no toad and IMHO it is *not* ready for prime time. There are many features a toad user would be used to that are not in tora - too many to list. There are too many things in tora that simply don't work and way to many quirks too. It is alpha quality. If you can live with that fine but dont expect to be able to point and click your way therough many tasks. For example enter and SQL and try to run it. It does nothing... until you discover that you *must* enter a <return> at the end of the line, and then run it. Try to copy and paste. Sometimes it works. Some times it doesn't. There is no integrated pl/sql editor ala Toad where if there's an error it goes to the problem line/character so you can quickly find the problem. There are very few wizards for creating objects other than the basic tables and indexes.

If you are looking for a GUI sql tool that displays results in a nice grid, you're better off using sqldeveloper. Since it's written in Java, it should work in most Linux distros. One caveat I've found is that if you use beryl for a window manager, you need to set AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolKit" prior to running it or it will just display a blank window.

For reference I am running PCLinuxOS 2007 , KDE 3.5.7, and beryl.
Re: TOAD on linux [message #272391 is a reply to message #220836] Thu, 04 October 2007 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davesmylie
Hi

Old thread I know, but seems to be quite a few ppl still looking at how to get Toad running under linux. I think possibly Oracle Development on linux is becoming more of a common thing (which can be only good!)

I've managed to get the freeware version of toad running quite happily under wine. (Not great, as freeware version only lets you have one connection at a time, but still, better than no toad, and it's free! =)

I've documented how I did it in this post. Seems to run okay - certainly a lot happier than PL/SQL developer under wine anyway.

I've got a full copy of toad lying round somewhere, so will give that a try in the near future as well.

Cheers
Dave Smylie
Re: TOAD on linux [message #272569 is a reply to message #272391] Fri, 05 October 2007 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dankegel
Hi Dave,
You should probably link to the Wine AppDB page for Toad
from your recipe. Its URL is
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1228
That's probably the best place for discussing Toad on Wine.

And extra bonus points if you file bugs at bugs.winehq.org
for any obnoxious problems you run into!
Re: TOAD on linux [message #272600 is a reply to message #272569] Fri, 05 October 2007 12:48 Go to previous message
davesmylie
Hi dankegel

There's a link already there. I've changed it to make it more obvious where it's pointing to =)

Cheers
Dave
Previous Topic: cannot run the "sqlplus" (merged)
Next Topic: Oracle 10g installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:46:50 CDT 2024