Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle on Solaris: Named pipes(nmp) protocol adapter
Oracle on Solaris: Named pipes(nmp) protocol adapter [message #218849] Sun, 11 February 2007 09:42 Go to next message
mglobus
I trying to connect to oracle database on Solaris through
named pipes (nmp) protocol adapter.
To do it I inserting into listener.ora following line:
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = NMP)(SERVER= ultra)(PIPE = PIPE1))
And got the following error:
TNS-01150: The address of the specified listener name is incorrect
TNS-01153: Failed to process string: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=NMP)(SERVER=ultra)(PIPE=PIPE1)))

What am I doing wrong ?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Oracle on Solaris: Named pipes(nmp) protocol adapter [message #218852 is a reply to message #218849] Sun, 11 February 2007 09:53 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>What am I doing wrong ?
Perhaps using a named pipe is what is wrong.
I've been doing Oracle for 10+ years & have never seen this before.

What business problem are you trying to solve & how & why was a named pipe brought into play?

Hmmm... learn some thing new every day
Named Pipes Protocol The Named Pipes protocol is a high-level interface providing interprocess communications between clients and database servers using distributed applications. One severside process creates the pipe, and the other clientside process opens it by name. What one side writes, the other can read, and vice versa. Named Pipes is specifically designed for PC LAN environments.

Named Pipes enables client/server conversation over a network using Named Pipes. This combination of Oracle products enables an Oracle application on a client to communicate with remote
Oracle databases through Named Pipes (if the Oracle database is running on a host system that supports network communication using Named Pipes).

So it must be an implementation issue. (PEBKAC).

from http://asktom.oracle.com

(ADDRESS=
(COMMUNITY= NMP.world)
(PROTOCOL= NMP)
(SERVER= SCCPRCI)
(PIPE= ORAPIPE)
)

HTH & YMMV!

[Updated on: Sun, 11 February 2007 10:11] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ORA-12514 error
Next Topic: JDBC Connectivity problem