Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Query on namespace and dbms_session.set_context
Query on namespace and dbms_session.set_context [message #217786] Mon, 05 February 2007 09:05 Go to next message
rolex.mp
I am new to oracle . I came across the word namespace when I was looking for information on dbms_session.set_context.

I came to know that dbms_session.set_context can be used for security purpose depending on the user who logs in but I dont know how to relate namespace here.

Is schema and namespace one and the same?
Can any of you let me know what does namespace mean in oracle ?
Also can u brief me upon the usage of dbms_session.set_context?

Re: Query on namespace and dbms_session.set_context [message #217807 is a reply to message #217786] Mon, 05 February 2007 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
A schema has it's own namespaces for it's objects. A namespace is basically a context for identifiers. Check Oracle Security Guide for a demonstration of DBMS_SESSION.SET_CONTEXT usage.
Re: Query on namespace and dbms_session.set_context [message #217920 is a reply to message #217786] Tue, 06 February 2007 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rolex.mp
I checked with the link and it gives a overview about the application context and access control which I was able to follow but I was not able to understand what namespace means .

And how context is related to namespace?

Whenever i create a new context and check dba_context the context created is listed in the column namespace .

So what does this namespace actually contain ?
Re: Query on namespace and dbms_session.set_context [message #218011 is a reply to message #217920] Tue, 06 February 2007 06:42 Go to previous message
ebrian
The best I can describe it would be that you can think of a namespace as a naming device for grouping related items. For example, tables and views within a schema share one namespace and therefore can not have the same name. However, since each schema has it's own namespace for it's objects, two tables can have the same name if they are in different schemas. For a context, each one must be unique within the database itself, not just within a schema. Oracle provides a default context that has a namespace of USERENV, that has several attributes associated with it.

HTH
Previous Topic: Audit Trail Compromised Help
Next Topic: DBMS_JOB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 22:37:40 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.19442 seconds