Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Simple SQL query
Simple SQL query [message #1883] Fri, 07 June 2002 05:19 Go to next message
Vinayak Awasthi
Hi all,

I have a string 'abcabcccc i love oracle abc'.I want to remove the leading abc's only ie the result i want should be 'ccc i love oracle abc'.

I want this with SQL only (no PLSQL).

Please help me.

Rgds
Re: Simple SQL query [message #1885 is a reply to message #1883] Fri, 07 June 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
but this is not a generic sql!~

1* select substr('abcabcccc i love oracle abc',2*length('abc')+1) from dual
SQL> /

SUBSTR('ABCABCCCCILOV
---------------------
ccc i love oracle abc
Re: Simple SQL query [message #1895 is a reply to message #1883] Sat, 08 June 2002 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amit Chauhan
Hi,
Try this :
SELECT REPLACE(LTRIM(REPLACE('abcabcabccccd abc ', 'abc', CHR(1)), CHR(1)), CHR(1), 'abc')
FROM DUAL
/
What am doing here is, am replacing the string that is to be removed (abc here) to character 1 (CHR(1)), you can use any other character if you want, am just using it assuming this will not appear in the string anywhere. Then I am using LTRIM to remove CHR(1) from left. And then replace back CHR(1) to abc.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Amit
Re: Simple SQL query [message #1902 is a reply to message #1883] Sun, 09 June 2002 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Balaji
hi vinayak
try this out. this statement will take the substr of the string with starting position as the instr of ccc
it doesnt matter how many times the abc appears.

select substr('abcabcabcabcabcabcccc i love oracle abc',instr('abcabcabcabcabcabcccc i love oracle abc','ccc',1)+1
,length('abcabcabcabcabcabcccc i love oracle abc'))from dual
Re: Simple SQL query [message #2733 is a reply to message #1895] Thu, 08 August 2002 09:51 Go to previous message
Faisal
Can you explain me the Ltrim funstion a little clear it would be better if you explain me giving an example in Access. I used your query in Access but it doesnt work.
Previous Topic: PL/SQL procedure ending after retreiving n number of rows and not going through the complete table
Next Topic: Question on order by clause
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:42:41 CDT 2024