Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Plz Help Urgent ;) No really, I'm having trouble with the articles on the main site
Plz Help Urgent ;) No really, I'm having trouble with the articles on the main site [message #216482] Sun, 28 January 2007 19:44 Go to next message
rleishman
Posted my first Blog last night, but got confused with all of the moderator options, and I've accidentally created a new menu item under Articles=>SQL PL/SQL=>

You should never have given me moderator privs on the main site.... Sad

I was tempted to try to fix it, but thought that could get even more embarrassing if I blew away the entire site. Better to get some help I figure.

While we're on the topic, I'm not sure I quite get the whole Blogs/Articles thing:
- Are all blogs listed as articles? Or can you choose not to "publish" a blog entry.
- There are a number of regular authors of great articles who do not appear to contribute to the forum, and many clever participnats in the forum who do not contribute articles. Any reason for the two seeming distinct groups? Or just conincidence.
- Is it bad etiquette for a moderator to publish their own blog entires - should they be peer reviewed first? Somone published mine pretty quickly, so I'm not complaining.
- Which settings should I leave blank/default when creating an article to avoid the same problem I created above. Should I just ignore all of the "Menu Settings", "Comment Settings", etc below the Blog body?
Re: Plz Help Urgent ;) No really, I'm having trouble with the articles on the main site [message #216500 is a reply to message #216482] Sun, 28 January 2007 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Is there a 'test' blog area? Somewhere we can do things without fear of 'killing' the main area?

Should we have a sticky 'with pictures' Smile to tell us how to use it?

David
Re: Plz Help Urgent ;) No really, I'm having trouble with the articles on the main site [message #216760 is a reply to message #216482] Tue, 30 January 2007 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
rleishman wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 03:44
While we're on the topic, I'm not sure I quite get the whole Blogs/Articles thing:
- Are all blogs listed as articles? Or can you choose not to "publish" a blog entry.

Yes, blog posts are listed under articles. To remove your post, just unset the "Publishing options -> published" property or delete it entirely.

- There are a number of regular authors of great articles who do not appear to contribute to the forum, and many clever participnats in the forum who do not contribute articles. Any reason for the two seeming distinct groups? Or just conincidence.

True. A single site will never pleases everyone. So we run three: the main site, a forum and a WIKI.

- Is it bad etiquette for a moderator to publish their own blog entires - should they be peer reviewed first? Somone published mine pretty quickly, so I'm not complaining.

Not at all. Your post looked ready, so I just marked it as "published".

- Which settings should I leave blank/default when creating an article to avoid the same problem I created above. Should I just ignore all of the "Menu Settings", "Comment Settings", etc below the Blog body?

Play around with the options so see what works best for you. You cannot really mess it up. If an options causes problems, just unset it again.
Re: Plz Help Urgent ;) No really, I'm having trouble with the articles on the main site [message #217015 is a reply to message #216500] Wed, 31 January 2007 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
djmartin wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 06:59
Is there a 'test' blog area? Somewhere we can do things without fear of 'killing' the main area?

Unfortunately not. However, you are welcome to create a test article and leave it in an "un-approved" state.

djmartin wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 06:59
Should we have a sticky 'with pictures' Smile to tell us how to use it?

That's a great idea! Will you be able to take the lead on this?
Re: Plz Help Urgent ;) No really, I'm having trouble with the articles on the main site [message #217139 is a reply to message #217015] Wed, 31 January 2007 17:00 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Frank Naude wrote on Wed, 31 January 2007 23:00
That's a great idea! Will you be able to take the lead on this?

Me and my big mouth! Maybe, but not real soon.

David
Previous Topic: Can we search for an attachment?
Next Topic: Creating a blog entry in "Draft" form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:39:16 CDT 2024