Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » String search in large table
String search in large table [message #21351] Sat, 27 July 2002 11:25 Go to next message
Tracy Veara
Hi guys,
I appreciate any help you can give me here.

My supervisor has asked me to query a very large (several million rows) table for some specific information. I am to return all records in the table where any values in the SEC_ID column contain three or more repeating characters. I need to be able to search for ANY alphanumeric or special characters at any location in the string. Obviously the workaround is to specify criteria for every possible combination of three characters available on a standard keyboard, but I really want to stretch my skills by learning to do this programmatically. Can anyone assist me? Thanks.

Regards,
Tracy Veara
Re: String search in large table [message #21358 is a reply to message #21351] Mon, 29 July 2002 10:50 Go to previous message
andrew again
You probably need the power of regular expressions here. If you have the OWA* web packages (from pl/sql gateway) you could try those (OWA_PATTERN.MATCH, OWA_PATTERN.AMATCH, OWA_PATTERN.CHANGE, OWA_PATTERN.GETPAT) or see this URL:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:2200894550208
Previous Topic: Query for a Forum
Next Topic: sql query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:55:27 CDT 2024