Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » outer join
outer join [message #21255] Fri, 19 July 2002 14:55 Go to next message
Suresh
Hello All,

Is this outer join is correct.

I expect to see all CODES from table A with DESC from B where there are corresponding CODES and also null DESC for all CODES which don't have corresponding CODES in B

select A.CODE, B.DESC
from TABLE-A A, TABLE-B B
where A.OWNER = 'abcd'
and B.OWNER = 'abcd'
and A.CODE = B.CODE(+)

The problem is the above query does not return that rows from table A which don't have corresponding rows in table B. (no outer joining?) even though the OWNER in both tables are 'abcd'.

If i outer join even the owner then I get the correct rows back

select A.CODE, B.DESC
from TABLE-A A, TABLE-B B
where A.OWNER = 'abcd'
and A.OWNER = B.OWNER(+)
and A.CODE = B.CODE(+)

Oracle 8.1.6 on WinNT

Any clarification is highly appreciated.
Suresh
Re: outer join [message #21257 is a reply to message #21255] Fri, 19 July 2002 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
the first query does not return all codes from table A because you are only returning the codes where owner = 'abcd'. the "a.owner='abcd'" is sometime refered to as a local condition, and that limits the rows from table a.

The second query returns what you wanted, because you joined on both common columns and you are not limiting the rows to one owner.
Re: outer join [message #21259 is a reply to message #21255] Fri, 19 July 2002 16:58 Go to previous message
Suresh
Thank you for your reply.

But those records from table A whose owner is 'abcd' but does not have a corresponding CODEs in table B are also not returned.??

Suresh
Previous Topic: SQL syntax
Next Topic: how to delete all the rows from a table?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:47:18 CDT 2024