Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL syntax
SQL syntax [message #21252] Fri, 19 July 2002 14:04 Go to next message
Robt
Hello everyone!
I am trying to figure out a solution for the following SQL error. It seems this (/////) is causing a type of buffer overrun on my db.
===============
ODBC Error Code = 51 ()

[[MERANT]][[ODBC MySql driver]][[MySql]]You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's%' and description LIKE '% backbone%' ORD' at line 8

SQL = ""SELECT itemID, upcCode, description, artist1, artist2, artist3, directorProducer, nowPrice, year, price, nowFlag FROM WWITEM
WHERE description LIKE '%devil\\\''s%' and description LIKE '%backbone%' ORDER BY description""

Data Source = ""PRODUCTS""

===============

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Your pal

Robt
Re: SQL syntax [message #21254 is a reply to message #21252] Fri, 19 July 2002 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
I would suggest posting in a MySQL forum. The syntax is valid with Oracle, but since you are using another database - the problem is either with MySQL or with the ODBC driver.
Re: SQL syntax [message #21256 is a reply to message #21252] Fri, 19 July 2002 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robt
Todd
Thanks for replying.

Were the ///'s in the query valid?

I almost have a feeling that someone is trying to break my db?

Your pal,

Robt
Re: SQL syntax [message #21258 is a reply to message #21256] Fri, 19 July 2002 16:00 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
I can only speak for Oracle, not MySQL, but the syntax is valid and would only find rows with a column value of:

devil\\\'s

Note that the double single quotes in the supplied string will resolve to a single quote.

Although that syntax is valid, I would doubt that you have any data that looks just like that.
Previous Topic: Index not being used
Next Topic: outer join
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:03:47 CDT 2024