Home » Other » General » NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP parameters for Oracle Client
NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP parameters for Oracle Client [message #211215] Wed, 27 December 2006 05:09 Go to next message
nvnsrt
Hi friends,

To make Oracle 10g database case insensitive, I have modified the SPFILE parameters NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP as below :

NLS_SORT=BINARY_CI
NLS_COMP=LINGUISTIC

Now the following query on SERVER gives the result as 1 upon execution :

SQL>SELECT 1 FROM DUAL WHERE 'a'='A';

But when I try to execute the same query on CLIENT then NO ROWS are returned.

I want the CLIENT to behave in the same way as the SERVER.

Please let me know if there is a solution to this.

Thanks and regards,

Naveen
Re: NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP parameters for Oracle Client [message #211217 is a reply to message #211215] Wed, 27 December 2006 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tahpush

Have you red this one ?

http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora10g/globalization0301.shtml
Re: NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP parameters for Oracle Client [message #304815 is a reply to message #211215] Thu, 06 March 2008 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevekerver
Consider the following:

Your table has thousands of rows of data, and it also has an index. So far, so good.
Now, you change the NLS settings, and suddenly realize that everything has slowed down. ...Why??
Well- think about it: the B in B-Tree index stands for binary, meaning in order to traverse the index and find the row id you are looking for, Oracle must sort through the index using a binary sort.
...If you change the NLS settings to anything other than the default of binary, Oracle will sort according to what you specify- and will no longer be able to sort using the index, resulting in a full table scan everytime.
Re: NLS_SORT and NLS_COMP parameters for Oracle Client [message #304867 is a reply to message #211215] Fri, 07 March 2008 00:14 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
NLS settings for your client is different than from your server.
Query v$nls_parameters in both cases.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Performance issue
Next Topic: 11g oracle.ctx component file damaged (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:41:35 CDT 2024