Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » error using If statement in procedure
error using If statement in procedure [message #210994] Sun, 24 December 2006 15:56 Go to next message
vipersting
Hi. I have a procedure, I want to use an if statement to check if car reg is greater 999, if so then to set it to 999. im getting this error: ERROR at line 7: PL/SQL: ORA-00922: missing or invalid option: cant see whats wrong, any help? thanks.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE newCar
(vName IN VARCHAR2, vReg IN NUMBER)
IS
BEGIN
If vReg > 999
Then
set vReg = 999
where carReg = vReg;
INSERT INTO Cars
(carName, carReg)
VALUES
(vName, vReg);

END;
Re: error using If statement in procedure [message #210995 is a reply to message #210994] Sun, 24 December 2006 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
You should read the fine PL/SQL Reference manual found at http://tahiti.oracle.com to learn the correct syntax for IF statement.
Re: error using If statement in procedure [message #211017 is a reply to message #210995] Mon, 25 December 2006 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It seems that there's more than just an IF syntax here ... what about 'set ... where' (where did this come from?), along with '=' which should be ':=' and PLS-00363 error?

As a gift, here are some possible solutions: IF is, maybe, not that good - there are other ways to do that.

First, using an IF-THEN-ELSE construct: after you read manual(s) Anacedent suggested in previous post and learn how to use correct command syntax, you'll still need to use additional variable ('l_vreg') because you can not modify argument's value in PL/SQL procedure.
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE Newcar
  (vname IN VARCHAR2, vreg IN NUMBER)
IS
  l_vreg NUMBER;
BEGIN
  l_vreg := vreg;
  IF vreg > 999 THEN
     l_vreg := 999;
  END IF;

INSERT INTO CARS (carname, carreg)
    VALUES
    (vname, l_vreg);
END;
/

Another option uses CASE:
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE newcar2
IS
BEGIN
    (SELECT vname, 
        CASE
          WHEN vreg > 999 THEN 999
          ELSE vreg
        END
     FROM dual
    );
END;
/

If you don't like it, there's a DECODE + SIGN possiblity:
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE newcar3
IS
BEGIN
    (SELECT vname, 
       DECODE(SIGN(999 - vreg), -1, 999,
                                     vreg
             )
     FROM dual
    );
END;
/

There might be another solutions too, but I'd left them to you.
Re: error using If statement in procedure [message #211043 is a reply to message #211017] Mon, 25 December 2006 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vipersting
thank you very much for that. just a quick question. now that the procedure has been created, suppose i wanted to add values, i would use this line to call procedure and then pass two values.

execute newCar('test', 123)

the sytax execute works on SQL*plus - since i created something similar, but now i am using oracle express edition, and it seems the word execute is not recognised.

ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement - is the error I get. I tried, start and run instead of execute, no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Re: error using If statement in procedure [message #211044 is a reply to message #210994] Mon, 25 December 2006 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vipersting
Hi.

I just realised execute command doesn't run on the oracle express edition interface but works fine on the SQL command line that comes with it too.

Thanks again.

Re: error using If statement in procedure [message #211146 is a reply to message #210994] Tue, 26 December 2006 16:05 Go to previous message
Bill B
Of course the easiest way is to do away with the entire procedure, simply

insert into cars values(carname,least(999,carreg));
Previous Topic: Mathematical Theory of Structured Query Language?
Next Topic: How to create List by Range partition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 10:38:23 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09483 seconds