Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » New to Oracle!
New to Oracle! [message #210889] Sat, 23 December 2006 00:23 Go to next message
Atif_Khan
Dear friends,

I am new to Oracle and have to do some task using ORacle. Our client is running their DB on Oracle and they have provided me the dump file of their DB. I have installed Oracle and now want to import that .dmp file. I have few questions for that.

1. Do I have to create a user/DB to imp .dmp file?
2. When I log into SQL Plus shell I dont see imp command in the help.

Waiting for helping replies.

Re: New to Oracle! [message #210894 is a reply to message #210889] Sat, 23 December 2006 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dhananjay
hi,

http://www.orafaq.com/faq/what_is_import_export_and_why_does_one_need_it

regards,
Re: New to Oracle! [message #210896 is a reply to message #210894] Sat, 23 December 2006 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Hi

Welcome to the world of Oracle and to this forum.
If you read the first post in the forum, you will see some links to the official Oracle documentation.
This documentation is REALLY good. Try to get to know it and you will be able to find practically anything in it.

imp is not a sqlplus command as you already discovered, but it is a separate tool.
Search for it in the above mentioned docs, for you will undoubtedly run into a lot of errors the first time you try it Wink

If you get errors, read them very carefully. Often the cause can be found quite easily.
Second step is to google for the errorcode. Use the three letters-Dash-five numbers code for this, e.g. ORA-00001

If all that fails, please come back and ask us. Then post the errorcode, combined with the steps you took.
Tell us if you searched, and what the result was, or otherwise you have a chance people will advise you to search first.

good luck!
Re: New to Oracle! [message #210899 is a reply to message #210889] Sat, 23 December 2006 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

Welcome on orafaq.

I have installed Oracle
If you create database with Oracle Installation. then no need to create again.
or
if you install only software then you have to create db through DBCA ( database configuration assistant).

---------------------------------
When I log into SQL Plus shell I dont see imp command in the help

IMP or EXP is utility. you can find in "ORACLEHOME/bin/" and run on COMMAND prompt.

something like
CMD>IMP HELP=Y
CMD>EXP HELP=Y

-------------------------

I log into SQL Plus shell I dont see imp command

it is not sqlplus command but you can run on sql prompt.

something like
SQL>HOSTEXP HELP=Y
SQL>HOSTIMP HELP=Y
-------------------------------

Do I have to create a user/DB to imp .dmp file?
Which exported dump file you have "full database" "tbs"or "user".

and what is your client side Oracle DB version and your current database Version where you going to import dump file.

regards
Taj
Re: New to Oracle! [message #210931 is a reply to message #210889] Sat, 23 December 2006 09:35 Go to previous message
Atif_Khan
Thanks to all of you for being helpful.

User52,

I am using the same Oracle91 for Windows which my client is using. Thanks for telling the exact location of imp and exp utility. I will try that using CLI and sql. The .dmp file has the schema for the DB which I will use to test my application with.

Previous Topic: copy table from one server to another server
Next Topic: Try this code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 18:28:15 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12361 seconds