Error [message #20426] Thu, 23 May 2002 02:34 Go to next message
Anthea Pollock
I'm studying programming through CTI who have
installed Oracle on my pc. I was given the
username scott and password tiger. When I try
and sign in using these codes, syst response is:

ERROR
ORA-01034: Oracle not available.

This seems to have the instructors at CTI baffled.
Could you please advise what would result in this
error number.

Muchly appreciated.
Re: Error [message #20427 is a reply to message #20426] Thu, 23 May 2002 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vivek
Your database service may not have been started. Try going to control panel servies and see if the service is up and running. If not then please start it.
All the best
Re: Error [message #20455 is a reply to message #20426] Sat, 25 May 2002 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Su
Anthea, there is nothing to baffle and worry about. The error says that your database is not yet started to provide you the service. As you said they installed it on your pc, I undersand it is a personal edition/version of ORACLE. So just press the 'Start' button (at the left-lower corner of the screen) and go to 'Programs' menu and look for Oracle8i (or whatever installed on your pc, Oracle9i etc) which in turn shows another submenu listing 'Application Development', 'Database Management', etc. Click on the Database Management, there you see 'Start Oracle8i Database' (for Oracle9i, Start Oracle9i Database). Click on that. It then starts the database asking your database name and password. If you dont know the databasename, ask any of your instructors who installed Oracle on your system. The database is also called SID (for ex. MYORADB is the name of ORACLE database I installed on my personal system). Unless a database created on your PC, you wont be able to start and access the database.
And the login and password you mentioned, scott and tiger, are mostly mentioned by Oracle authors in books and tools, but I am not sure whether your teaching staff created with the same login/password or they are assuming it comes by default with Oracle. If they are thinking it comes by default, then they are wrong and they have not yet created any user-id and password for you.
Since it is installed on your PC, even you can create on your own a user-id and password.
Once after you started up the database, just go to start SQL Plus (you will find it in the Start->Programs->Oracle8i->Application Development menu) . You just enter the SYSTEM as your login and MANAGER as password, then it takes you to the main system manager (DBA) login (these have been created by Oracle and come by default). Once the SQLPlus tool started a session for you, there you can create logins and passwords with the persmissions and previliges you want(by using GRANT command) and whatever you want to. Try it out, if you still need any help, I would be happy to help you out. Good luck :)
Re: Error [message #20463 is a reply to message #20455] Sun, 26 May 2002 23:53 Go to previous message
Anthea Pollock
You're an absolute gem! Thanks for all your trouble - muchly appreciated.
Previous Topic: Cursors in Oracle 8i
Next Topic: About computation on two columns values
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:02:56 CDT 2024