Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » editor problem
editor problem [message #20279] Fri, 10 May 2002 08:33 Go to next message
Deepak
Hi Gurus,
I'm facing a strange editor problem.I'm working on oracle 8 (NT based) whenever i try to edit on sql prompt by using ed command. the machine gets hang.
the notepad application is located in c:winntsystem32 directory. previously there was 1 more notepad exe located on c:program..application directory & @ that time also i was facing the problem. but after deleting the notepad.exe from appln dir i still face the problem. so i can't work @ all.

Pl. send in detail & all alternate/possible solutions

Thanx in advance
deepak
Re: editor problem [message #20289 is a reply to message #20279] Sat, 11 May 2002 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Su
Are you able to run the notepad from msdos prompt also? If so, try it out from SQL prompt too, by giving HOST NOTEPAD at SQL prompt. Why I suggest this is to make sure that there is right command path is given on your system. Check it out.
Good luck :)
Re: editor problem [message #20344 is a reply to message #20279] Wed, 15 May 2002 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak
Thx Su,
i've tried host notepad on sql prompt it doesn't do anything for a long long time. I think it doesn't file notepad exe.
Pl . guide
Thx
deepak
Re: editor problem [message #20346 is a reply to message #20344] Wed, 15 May 2002 11:52 Go to previous message
Su
I am still not sure what is going on your system. OK, lets try this way out first. First you have to make sure what editor is defined for your sql scripting in your SQL window. In SQL*PLUS window, go to Edit menu on the top and point the mouse on Editor option, then it shows two sub-options 'Invoke Editor' and 'Define Editor'. Click on 'Define Editor' and check what editor is defined there. If it is 'Notepad' then change it to some thing else like WORDPAD, etc and now try to edit something from your SQL prompt. Check whether it is working. You should also check proper PATH is set up on your environment to invoke such editor. So make sure the PATH is set up properly. If that editor (WORDPAD or something else you want) works fine, then the problem is with either NOTEPAD or its path. Though it is not working from SQL prompt by HOST NOTEPAD, there should be either PATH or NOTEPAD.EXE problem. Check it out.
Good luck :)
Previous Topic: Need to implement this business rule for triggers
Next Topic: Performance question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:05:36 CDT 2024