Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » connect by - too many rows?
connect by - too many rows? [message #199143] Fri, 20 October 2006 09:39 Go to next message
SaraC
Hi
I have created a query which I need to sort in a hierarchical order.
The query has an inner query comprising of a union - this inner query returns the results I want but not yet in the correct order.

I then added CONNECT BY PRIOR and ORDER BY SIBLINGS clauses and the query now returns too many rows - the rows I want are displayed in the correct order however there are another 16 rows returned after those - these have already appeared in the list of records but this time have a higher hierarchy level value (i.e. if the original row was level 2 it appears again with level1)

SELECT ..
FROM (
SELECT..
FROM
WHERE

UNION

SELECT
FROM
WHERE
)
CONNECT BY PRIOR..
ORDER SIBLINGS BY..

Cant help thinking that Ive missed a condition e.g. and after the connect by but Ive played about with this and still didnt get the expected results
Can anyone help. Please....
Sorry I was not able to add my actual query as an example but it is quite specific and complex and no good for discussion as an example

Thx

Re: connect by - too many rows? [message #199171 is a reply to message #199143] Fri, 20 October 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Sara, there is no START WITH clause in your example. I'm also confused when you say the inner query has the results you want - with a hierarchical query you normally start with a small set of data (one row or a few rows) and then the hierarchical logic builds a tree from there.

Could you at least give an example with the sample EMP table showing what you are trying to do?
Re: connect by - too many rows? [message #199280 is a reply to message #199143] Mon, 23 October 2006 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SaraC
I constructed the inner query first as it consists of a UNION of 2 queries. I was then trying to sort the results of the query using a connect by. It did sort the data into the correct order but then extra rows were returned after the expected rows in the expected order.

I will try starting the query from scratch, doing the connect by part first, not last - and see what happens.

Sara
Re: connect by - too many rows? [message #199283 is a reply to message #199143] Mon, 23 October 2006 03:34 Go to previous message
SaraC
Thanks for the tip Todd, it works now - I added a start with clause and reconstructed the query from the bottom up as it were. And it worked!

Thought I had tried that but obviously hadnt set the starts with to the right value. Reading up on it today I got the correct value and now the query works and in the correct order!!!

thanks very much - spent hours on it on Friday and have now sorted it within half an hour today!
Previous Topic: oracle 10g purge all entries of a single table
Next Topic: constraint deferred
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 10:39:45 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08432 seconds