Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » how often is recomended to use commit in a loop
how often is recomended to use commit in a loop [message #20195] Mon, 06 May 2002 08:20 Go to next message
Juan Delfin
I need to know how often is recommended to make a commit when you are in
a loop

In this simple example, i need to find the best x for become the best and
quickly load of one table, and for optimize the rollback segments space

i:=0;
while i<100000 loop
insert into emp (i,to_char(i));
if i =x then
commit;
end if
i:=i+1;
end loop;
Re: how often is recomended to use commit in a loop [message #20218 is a reply to message #20195] Tue, 07 May 2002 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John R
If you are trying to load data into a table in bulk, you should consider using SQL*Loader.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say it makes a massive amount of difference. Commit's take pretty much the same amount of time regardless of how much data there is to commit.
Re: how often is recomended to use commit in a loop [message #20236 is a reply to message #20195] Wed, 08 May 2002 08:11 Go to previous message
sridhar
Two things,
1. First of all in your code you are commiting only once irrespective of what 'x' value is,

i:=0;
while i<100000 loop
insert into emp (i,to_char(i));
if i =x then
commit;
end if
i:=i+1;
end loop;

You should add i := 0; line after commit;

2. How often to commit? It really depends on the size of RBS(rollback segment), number of processes running at that time in db AND the size of your table. I would commit as per mod(number_of_rows_in_table, 1000).

Thx,
SriDHAR
Previous Topic: Updating With Subquery
Next Topic: empty the table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 23:31:39 CDT 2024