Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Backup Question
Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Backup Question [message #198447] Tue, 17 October 2006 03:59 Go to next message
Hauke
Hello,

I am new here and with Oracle and I have no idea at all Sad I used to work a lot with sql databases but now I need to develop an oracle database with web-interface. Everything works fine, but the only thing I didn't find out is, how to create an easy way of backup and restoring?

I use Subversion so I can work at two different workspaces (both as localhost), so right now, I need to make chages at both databases manual. If I add a column at the one, I need to make the same changes at the other database at the other workspace. Thats not good Sad

With SQL I have e.a. mysqldump command, which creates an plain text file with the complete sql statements with the structure of the database and the content. This plain text file I could commit to subversion and restore it at the other workspace.
Is there a way at oracle to do the same?

Thank you very much and I am sorry, if this question is in the wrong category.

Hauke

PS.: I am using Oracle Database 10g Express Edition
PPS: I am using Windows
Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Backup Question [message #198455 is a reply to message #198447] Tue, 17 October 2006 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

used imp or exp utility

prior 10g. Original EXPORT or IMPORT
later 10g. EMPDP or IMPDP Datapump option.
Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Backup Question [message #198458 is a reply to message #198455] Tue, 17 October 2006 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lecorr
Or, if you can stop your database, just backup the files.
It works on all version, it will be fast and you can restore on other computer.
Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Backup Question [message #198469 is a reply to message #198447] Tue, 17 October 2006 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hauke
Thank you very much for your help !! Smile

Re: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Backup Question [message #198482 is a reply to message #198447] Tue, 17 October 2006 06:05 Go to previous message
kimant
The export and import as already suggested works just fine, but do not consider them true backups.

If You want to go all the way and take 'real' backups, You need to enable archiving (Which records changes to the database).
This way, You can take a backup from a while back, and roll forward to a specific point in time. Or recover in a lot of other scenarios.

Going back to the latest export might not be fun, if You have done a lot of work since then....

The tool for taking real backups are called RMAN.
RMAN does take some time to get to know, but once You have the hang of it, it can really save Your day (or at least Your work).

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/admin.102/b25107/backrest.htm#i1004902

Smile
Kim
Previous Topic: Problem to compare two elements
Next Topic: Dynamic parenthesis in where clause Possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 09 09:36:15 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09434 seconds