Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database
Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database [message #195817] Mon, 02 October 2006 10:31 Go to next message
nath33
Hi,

Did somebody advise me a good method to upgrade a very large database 9i to 10g ? The upgrade should be quick, very low downtime and I can't use standby database because the size of my database is 15 Tera.
Thanks for your response.
Re: Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database [message #195818 is a reply to message #195817] Mon, 02 October 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Post your exact version in 9i.
We just did (Yesterday to be precise) a migration of 1.4 Tb 9.2.x.x
in windows to 10gR2 in SUSE across the network.
Total downtime 13 hours and that is what we got most (we need to transfer the files).

If you are looking into 9i to 10g in the same host, it could be much lesser. It depends on the complexity of data, options you are using.
You can directly use DBUA to upgrade 9i(must have to be 9.2.0.7 atleast. Else first patch to 9.2.07 and proceed) to 10g.
Takes a few hours.

Ofcourse,
You need to backup everything you can, before doing this.
So PLAN for that. With 15 TB database, you must already be using some archival mechanism/incremental backups.
And to be fair, I would be much worried whether the database/application behaves the same (if not better) after upgrading. As said, depending on the options/application you are using it may vary.
Oracle 10g CBO is way different from 9i.
Do you have a test environment? Test it first. Then do it in production.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 October 2006 11:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database [message #195832 is a reply to message #195818] Mon, 02 October 2006 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faiz_hyd
Thanks Mahesh for sharing your Work with us,

We also have a plan to updgrade to 10g rel 2, my current version is
Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

and OS is Sun 5.9 , we will maintain the same OS.

As you said to apply the first patch 9.2.0.7 , only one patch will be enough for Jumping to 10g Rel 2.

Ours is approx 500 gb DB which is growing rapidly,
Please share some problems / facts you had come across during this.
Regarding doing TEST before going in PROD the only problem we always see is data size and system configurations, Testing machines are not so powerful as PROD, (with me atleast i don't know about others.)

Thangs Again for your valuable inputs.

Regards
Re: Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database [message #195836 is a reply to message #195832] Mon, 02 October 2006 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Hi Faiz_Hyd,

I stated earlier:
>>You can directly use DBUA to upgrade 9i(must have to be 9.2.0.7 atleast. Else first patch to 9.2.07 and proceed) to 10g.
That is not entirely true (or the way it meant was wrong).
My apologies.

As usual, look into Oracle documentation first.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/toc.htm

Install the new 10g software.
Run the Pre-upgrade information tool.

And it gives information like this:

Oracle Database 10.2 Upgrade Information Utility    05-25-2005 05:19:08
Database:
--> name:       RBX0
--> version:    9.2.0.6.0
--> compatible: 9.2.0

if the version is acceptable, the utility will suggest to patch the source database to a higher level.
Oracle recomends to go for the highest patch set that includes the critical update.
My source was 9.2.0.1.0.
I chose 9.2.0.7 .You can apply critical updates later in 10gR2. Use the ones for 10gR2.
If the pre-upgrade tool suggests to patch, do it. Else it is not necessary.
So i patched 9.2.0.1 to 9.2.0.7 and upgraded to 10g and patched to 10gR2 with critical patches.

>> Please share some problems / facts you had come across during this.
Actually None this time. I have been upgrading/patching/migrating databases for quite a while (from oracle 7).
This 9i to 10g was the one that gave me no problem ( As said early, i am much worried after getting into 10gR2).
As usual, take some basic precautions (along with the ones documented).
-> enough system tablespace/Temp tablespace ( i gave auotextend on for System ) and 40gb temporary tablespace (no autoextend).
-> backup before and after
In my case, i am also migrating from windows to Suse linux using transportable tablespaces.
This feature is available only in 10g. So i first upgraded 9i on windows to 10g on windows.
Then used TTS to migrate to 10g on Linux.

You also stated:
>>Regarding doing TEST before going in PROD the only problem
I understand that.
What i meant is, in the test environment, upgrade some 9i database to 10g.
Get used to the process.
If you have a clean copy of PROD in TEST and if you can afford to do a test upgrade, do it there.
Ofcourse , you still need to worry about the CBO changes, bugs etc.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 October 2006 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database [message #195953 is a reply to message #195836] Tue, 03 October 2006 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nath33
Thanks a lot for your very complete answer.
Re: Method to upgrade a 9i Database to 10g on a very large Database [message #196045 is a reply to message #195817] Tue, 03 October 2006 15:57 Go to previous message
manish mendiratta
Hello All,

I have the similar requirement, i am running 9i Rel 2 9.2.0.6 in shared server mode(non Rac), i have to upgrade to 10g Clusters. What are the options available to upgrade. As you mentioned you just did the migration, was your existing system a RAC?
Please share your views on this.
thanks
Previous Topic: SQL loader for null DATE column
Next Topic: Need Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 01:52:40 CDT 2024