Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Create shcema authorization [not my username]
Create shcema authorization [not my username] [message #195235] Wed, 27 September 2006 09:16 Go to next message
tores
Hi,

How can I accomplish the above?

In Oracle's documentation (http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/statements_614a.htm#SQLRF01313)
it says that the schema name must be the same as your username. As I will create multiple databases, I would like to have one schema per database, instead of having all tables of every database in the same schema. When using Oracle's migration workbench to migrate an Access db to Oracle, another schema name (than my username) were used, so this should be possible.

regards
Re: Create shcema authorization [not my username] [message #195241 is a reply to message #195235] Wed, 27 September 2006 09:34 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I think you are a little confused with the terminlogy (used in oracle).
In Oracle schema and user are same (Well almost. Not exactly).
You ask Oracle to create a user. ORacle will create a user and an associated schema for that user. Schema is logical area where all the objects owned by user are put togeter.
So when you create a user SCOTT, a schema named SCOTT is created.
All objects owned by user SCOTT is in the same schema.
Multiple such schemas(users) make up an Oracle database.
>> I would like to have one schema per database
In most cases, you DO NOT NEED this.
You can have many schemas in the same database.
Every schema(user) will have his own logcial/physical area (tablespace/datafiles) to hold the objects.
More information in Oracle server concepts manual.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 September 2006 09:35]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Urgent Help on Long Raw
Next Topic: doubt in for cursor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 12:17:41 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.19732 seconds