Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Shared Server Configuration
Shared Server Configuration [message #194005] Wed, 20 September 2006 06:22 Go to next message
M.Shakeel Azeem
i am trying to configure a database into shared server from dedicated server architecture,i had done that by using DBCA
shared_servers=3
and dispatchers=3;
and after configuration i have restarted the database
but i have observed that sys as sysdba then this user is connected as shared and all other users are connected as None
SQL> select username,server
2 from v$session;

USERNAME SERVER
------------------------------ ---------
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
SYS SHARED
HR NONE

but when i chaged the tnsnames.ora file
From
NCL.NCTEX.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = shakeel)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = nishat)
)
)
To
NCL.NCTEX.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = nishat)(SERVER=DEDICATED) )
)
And i observed that all user are connected as DEDICATED

USERNAME SERVER
------------------------------ ---------
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
DEDICATED
SYS DEDICATED
HR DEDICATED

Do anybody have any idea about this?
if anybody have then please help me in this regard
Prompt response will be appreciated
Thanx in advance
Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194159 is a reply to message #194005] Thu, 21 September 2006 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
From Oracle docs,

Quote:

To use shared servers, a user process must connect through Oracle Net Services or SQL*Net version 2, even if the process runs on the same machine as the Oracle instance.

Did you use the tns service while connecting the user ?

and

you wrote

And i observed that all user are connected as DEDICATED

That's a documented behaviour as you explicitly mentioned that the user connecting through NCL.NCTEX.COM tns service should make dedicated connection.

you can read this

http://www.utexas.edu/its/unix/reference/oracledocs/v92/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c09procs.htm#19210

[Updated on: Thu, 21 September 2006 01:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194188 is a reply to message #194159] Thu, 21 September 2006 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.Shakeel Azeem
Yes i am using tnsnames file and oracle net service is used for connection of clients to server
i read this article which contains the basic concepts about shared server architecture but i haved asked about the problems raised during shared server configuration
can u please help me in this regard?
Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194246 is a reply to message #194188] Thu, 21 September 2006 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
In a shared server configuration/connection, the session's server status will show NONE if the user isn't actually performing anything in the database. If you were to run a long query with HR, you will notice the server status change to SHARED.
Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194396 is a reply to message #194246] Fri, 22 September 2006 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.Shakeel Azeem
You are absolutely right
But the problem is that "sys as sysdba" is connected to shared and when i try to shutdown the database then i got the error
ORA-00106: cannot startup/shutdown database when connected to a dispatcher
But if i change in tnsnames.ora file
From
ORANCTEX.com=
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracleserver1)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = oranctex)
)
)
To
ORANCTEX.com=
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracleserver1)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = oranctex)(SERVER=DEDICATED)
)
)

Then all users connected as dedicated including sys user by using the above mentioned service
Is that necessary to use separate servive for the user as sysdba and normal user
Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194528 is a reply to message #194396] Fri, 22 September 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You can do one of two things:
  • Add another alias in tnsnames.ora file that is DEDICATED and use this tns alias when you need DEDICATED connections (ie. startup/shutdown).
  • Bypasss the listener all together by NOT specifying a tns alias when you connect to the database (bequeath connection).

Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194606 is a reply to message #194528] Fri, 22 September 2006 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.Shakeel Azeem
Are u sure that is an optimal solution?
I can't bypass the tns service because i want to make a connnection to server from a remote client machine
As i mentioned that should we need to make two services for connection?
One for sysdba
i.e. TESTDB =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = testdb)
)
)
And one for normal user
TESTDB_SHARED=
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = testdb)
)
)
Isn't it possible that by using same service (one of the above mentioned service)
we'll be able to connect as dedicated for sysdba user and shared for normal user (other than sysdba)?
Do you have any solution about it?
Re: Shared Server Configuration [message #194684 is a reply to message #194606] Sun, 24 September 2006 00:00 Go to previous message
ebrian
M.Shakeel Azeem wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 23:38

Are u sure that is an optimal solution?

Well you asked for solutions and I gave you two. If you have doubts that one is not optimal then use the other.

M.Shakeel Azeem wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 23:38

Isn't it possible that by using same service (one of the above mentioned service)
we'll be able to connect as dedicated for sysdba user and shared for normal user (other than sysdba)?
Do you have any solution about it?

That's what my first bullet item I listed above was indicating.
Previous Topic: Cold backup scripts
Next Topic: window connection gone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:53:36 CDT 2024