Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PL/SQL function in FROM clause
PL/SQL function in FROM clause [message #19797] Wed, 10 April 2002 08:46 Go to next message
Doug
We have a set of tables that are rebuilt every year. For example: XY_2000, XY_2001, XY_2002, you get the idea. The table stores that year's information. (Note: We did NOT come up with scheme! we just have to live with it.)

When we query these tables we have to use the current year's name, ex: XY_2001. When the tables are rebuilt for the change of the year all of our queries have to be updated.

My idea:
Write a function that we can pass in the non-changing portion of the table name and we can then calculate the year we want and return the table name. We could use the function in the from clause (SELECT * FROM year_table('XY')). Doing so would prevent yearly maintenance of our queries.

I have tried a number of different methods to accomplish my idea but all have resulted in failure. Does anyone know how to successfully implement my idea?

Thank you for the help!
Re: PL/SQL function in FROM clause [message #19801 is a reply to message #19797] Wed, 10 April 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Unfortunately, your idea of creating a function will not work because you need an actual object for the table name unless you are using dynamic SQL.

So, since you have all these dependent queries, how about creating a view to handle this?

The view would have to be updated once per year, but all of your queries would use the view and would not have to change each year.

create or replace view xy
as
select * from xy_2002;

All of your queries would then refer to xy.
Re: PL/SQL function in FROM clause [message #19817 is a reply to message #19797] Wed, 10 April 2002 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Epe
Hello,

if possible, I would modify the tables and selects to XY (without year suffix), and at the end of every year, rebuild the tables with the name XY_year and move or copy the data into those "history"-tables.
So the data from the active year are stored in the tables without year suffix, and moved or copied at the end of the year to the table with the correct suffix.
That way you will have to modify your selects only this year (to XY).

Success,

epe
Re: PL/SQL function in FROM clause [message #19821 is a reply to message #19817] Thu, 11 April 2002 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug
If I could I would change the schema but alas I cannot, I am only supporting someone's design. But, that is a rant for another day.

I am not averse to using dynamic sql or pl/sql. I would like the solution to be as simple as possible for maintenance considerations.

Doug
Re: PL/SQL function in FROM clause [message #19842 is a reply to message #19797] Fri, 12 April 2002 09:41 Go to previous message
André ALIMBA
TRY to use partition on column yaer of your table...

CREATE TABLE XY_year(year_key NUMBER,
year date NOT NULL,
col1 INT NOT NULL,
coln varchar2)
PARTITION BY RANGE (year)
(partition year1 VALUES ...;
Previous Topic: using UTL_file for multi-records
Next Topic: How to generate report with dynamic variable number of columns?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:27:37 CDT 2024