Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Oracle gets connected without host String
Oracle gets connected without host String [message #193429] Sat, 16 September 2006 13:35 Go to next message
ab_trivedi
Hi,

I have Oracle 8i personal edition installed in Windows 98.Now the problem is that ' I can connect to Oracle only giving username/password' but when I give the hoststring then it gives problem.

I have also modify TNSNAMES.ORA but no use of it.

How this is happening, I mean is it that the Oracle is taking taking default host string? Or what. If it is taking taking the default one then how am I come to know that what is the Host String.

Regards
Ashutosh Trivedi
Re: Oracle gets connected without host String [message #193432 is a reply to message #193429] Sat, 16 September 2006 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimant
Hi

You are missing some details, like how You connect, which applicatio nYou are connecting from, where You are connecting from (I assume the same machine as the database resides on), what happens when it does not work etc.

Br
Kim
Re: Oracle gets connected without host String [message #193443 is a reply to message #193432] Sat, 16 September 2006 15:29 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If you installed only one database and it is the only one in the TNSNAMES.ORA file, it will be a default one. Using database alias in connection string will raise an error if it is not fully specified - check the SQLNET.ORA for the default extension (could be "world", for example; in that case, you'd use such a connection string: "scott/tiger@ora8.world")
Previous Topic: Oracle 8i Personal Edition problem
Next Topic: Oracle 10g Express for Windows on a USB key
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:10:59 CDT 2024