Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Urgent...Listener problem with PowerBuilder connecting to ORACLE8i. PLEASE HELP
Urgent...Listener problem with PowerBuilder connecting to ORACLE8i. PLEASE HELP [message #19748] Fri, 05 April 2002 10:38 Go to next message
Su
Hi there,

Here I am having a big trouble in connecting PowerBuilder6.0 to ORACLE8I Personal Edition on my system. I created a DB profile with data source name and oracle service name. Even then it kicks out with an error message stating "TNS: No listener found". If I defy the message and go ahead with creating a table and come back to access it, it says some thing like "Table has no columns, possible invalid table format". I tried to configure a listener and starting TNSCTL and TNSPING also. The autoexec.bat contains also the ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN paths. Still not able to access and connect the PowerBuilder6.0 to Oracle8i on my system. Both are on my WIN 98 system.

The ORACLE_HOME is set to C:ORACLEORA8178 (as it shown at Oracle Home Selector in Start/Programs menu)and I set the TNS_ADMIN to C:ORACLEORA8178NETWORKADMIN as the TNSNAMES.ORA is existing in that folder. I went to the MSDOS prompt and entered the TNSPING with my database name.
but it shows the following error message:

TNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS

what could be going wrong? any advice?

Any help in this matter would be well appreciated.
Pls, pls, send me your suggestions as soon as possible. Its urgent I have to do so.

Pls, pls, send me your suggestions as soon as possible. Its urgent I have to do so.
Re: Urgent...Listener problem with PowerBuilder connecting to ORACLE8i. PLEASE HELP [message #19750 is a reply to message #19748] Fri, 05 April 2002 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Run the installer again and make sure you have installed SQL*Net. You also have to install TCP/IP adapter. Make sure you have TCP/IP protocol set up on your client. Verify you have ORACLE_HOME/bin in your PATH variable. Verify all other required variables. Check that your registry entries and make sure you have ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN set correctly for all homes if you have multiples. Can you ping your host?
Re: Urgent...Listener problem with PowerBuilder connecting to ORACLE8i. PLEASE HELP [message #19755 is a reply to message #19748] Sat, 06 April 2002 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Su
Yes everything is installed, SQL*Net8 and TCP/IP protocol. It is my personal PC and the ORACLE installed is 8i Personal Edition. Yesterday I downloaded the evaluation version PowerBuilder8 also. Still the problem persists.
I had similar problem with TOAD when I first installed it . But when I came to know that I have to run LSNRCTL and keep it started while I am using TOAD, the problem was resolved and now I am able to use TOAD access ORACLE tables through it. But with PB6/8, it is still giving me trouble. Any advice or help in this matter greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Urgent...Listener problem with PowerBuilder connecting to ORACLE8i. PLEASE HELP [message #19765 is a reply to message #19748] Mon, 08 April 2002 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Are you using Oracle ODBC or Micrsoft's ODBC for Oracle? Oracle ODBC is recommended. Make sure the tns entry in your tnsnames.ora file and the DSN and alias have the same name. Are you able to connect to the database with this DSN using another application like MS Access.
Re: Urgent...Listener problem with PowerBuilder connecting to ORACLE8i. PLEASE HELP [message #20490 is a reply to message #19748] Wed, 29 May 2002 02:34 Go to previous message
shailesh
Hi
Possibly the Powerbuilder native driver that are needed for oracle -powerbuilder connectivity are of lower version (The drievers provided with PB 6 can work with oracle 8 and lower)
So you need to get upgraded pbora.dll named "pbora860" or it's counterpart.
So get it from some where and copy it in "shared Folder".Do necessary changes in PB.ini
and freshly create a profile with oracle native drivers.
I think Problem will be solved.
Previous Topic: Error handling and procedures
Next Topic: Slow create view statements - Please help it is urgent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:12:16 CDT 2024