Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Reference a variable
Reference a variable [message #192977] Thu, 14 September 2006 07:45 Go to next message
jarmstrong
Hello,
I am trying to check all the columns in a table that end in the number "1" for a value that is to large. If the value is to large a call another procedure that I know works. The procedure compiles and runs but appears not to work. Thank you for any incite you may give. I think that the problem is where I am useing a variable to refernece a column_name in a cursor.

procedure find_errors
is

cursor table1_cursor is
select *
from table1;

cursor table1_column_names is
select COLUMN_NAME
from all_tab_columns
where table_name='table1';

v_column_name varchar2(50);

begin

/* loop cursor table1_cursor */
<<OUTER_LOOP>>
for c in table1_cursor loop
/* loop table1_column_names */
<<INNER LOOP>>
for n in table1_column_names loop
v_column_name := 'c.'||n.column_name;
/* check for column names ending in 1 */
if substr(n.column_name,-1,1) = '1' then
/* check table1_cursor for invalid entry */
if v_column_name > 1000000000 then
p_insert_error('TABLE1 ERROR','Invalid '||n.column_name||' '||v_column_name);
end if;
end if;
end loop INNER LOOP;
end loop OUTER_LOOP;

exception
when others then null;

end find_errors;
Re: Reference a variable [message #192988 is a reply to message #192977] Thu, 14 September 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
That is not the way to do this. As you could have seen yourself if you would have done the most basic of debugging (dbms_output of the contents of v_column_name), v_column_name does NOT get filled with the contents of the column, but with the column_name itself.
The only way to do this 'properly' is to use dynamic sql.

Just out of curiosity: Why don't you know WHICH column contains the too-large-value? Sounds like a design-flaw to me, or using a canon to shoot a mosquito as we say it here.

(By the way, table1 should probable in capitals in table1_column_names; furthermore, why filter the column_names ending on '1' AFTER the select instead of IN the select?)

Re: Reference a variable [message #192997 is a reply to message #192988] Thu, 14 September 2006 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jarmstrong
I was looking for the column_name in the v_column_name. I think the problem lies with trying to use it as a pointer later on. I'm working on data imported from a very very old database with hundreds of columns in a table. I was looking to save some code by handling all of he columns that end in _value on way and the columns that end in _cost another. The code I posted was just a basic example of what I was trying to do. I'll take a look at using dynamic sql.
Re: Reference a variable [message #193032 is a reply to message #192997] Thu, 14 September 2006 10:38 Go to previous message
Frank
ah ok.
Well there are quite a lot of examples here on the board. One found here. Look at the last reply to get the idea
Previous Topic: Ref Cursor Problem ... Urgent
Next Topic: Why is this Error???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 04 06:50:25 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09283 seconds