Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Procedure locks (merged)
Procedure locks (merged) [message #189680] Fri, 25 August 2006 09:48 Go to next message
pankajdhingra

Hi all,

First of all , let me clear my point of view.

I am working on Seamless upgrade of a project. The Project Uses hibernate and oracle.
My Task is to upgrade the db from version1 to version 2 while project is running.

In Our projects we have a packages containing trigger which will insert a row in Update_table on updating or deletion of any row of specific tables ..suppose t1, t2 , t3.

In version 2 we have some new columns in update_table, and in T1 and t2 too.
and some updates in T1,and t3.

In Upgrade of Db , I am adding column in update_table then i am adding columns in T1.t2,

then I am upgrading of all procedures and triggers by create or replace procedure.

But while updating procedures, i got blocked. it keeps on waiting for several hours.
but when i stop my project after some time , migration process start again and successfully upgrade the procedures.

for further info , My project is also changing values in 1 and t2 frequently.

but when i start my migration process , all update request goes in idle state and after some time it gives connection time out.

I am totally confused in it ..

and one more thing it runs successfully with very less request on projects for updating of table values of t1 and t2

thanks
locks [message #189682 is a reply to message #189680] Fri, 25 August 2006 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pankajdhingra
Hi all,

I am working on Seamless upgrade of a project. The Project Uses hibernate and oracle.
My Task is to upgrade the db from version1 to version 2 while project is running.

In Our projects we have a packages containing trigger which will insert a row in Update_table on updating or deletion of any row of specific tables ..suppose t1, t2 , t3.

In Upgrade of Db , I am adding column in update_table then i am adding columns in T1.t2,

then I am upgrading of all procedures and triggers by create or replace procedure.

But while updating procedures, i got blocked. it keeps on waiting for several hours.
but when i stop my project after some time , migration process start again and successfully upgrade the procedures.

but when i start my migration process , all update request goes in idle state and after some time it gives connection time out.

and one more thing it runs successfully with very less request on projects for updating of table values of t1 and t2

please help me

thanks
locks [message #189683 is a reply to message #189680] Fri, 25 August 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pankajdhingra
Hi all,

please help me
thanks
Re: locks [message #189684 is a reply to message #189682] Fri, 25 August 2006 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gbarbisan
Already asked!

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/68468/90461/
Re: locks [message #189685 is a reply to message #189683] Fri, 25 August 2006 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gbarbisan
Are you "spamming"?!

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/68468/90461/
Re: locks [message #189686 is a reply to message #189684] Fri, 25 August 2006 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pankajdhingra
Sorry !! It was just by mistake .
but can you help in this problem
Re: [message #189691 is a reply to message #189680] Fri, 25 August 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE must wait until no (other) session is using the package.
Think about it.
If I am running a package & you want to change it, what should Oracle do? Kill my session so you can change the package?
We have met the enemy & they is us.
In some/many/most cases it is the developer himself who has the package open in a different window/session.

HTH & YMMV!
Re: locks [message #189692 is a reply to message #189683] Fri, 25 August 2006 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>But while updating procedures, i got blocked. it keeps on waiting for several hours.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE must wait until no (other) session is using the package.
Think about it.
If I am running a package & you want to change it, what should Oracle do? Kill my session so you can change the package?
We have met the enemy & they is us.
In some/many/most cases it is the developer himself who has the package open in a different window/session.

HTH & YMMV!
Re: locks [message #189701 is a reply to message #189683] Fri, 25 August 2006 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
you have asked this question in at least three separate forums. And no, I don't believe you when you say it was a mistake. How do you mistakenly post in three seaprate forums? That's rude.
Re: locks [message #189774 is a reply to message #189701] Sun, 27 August 2006 03:13 Go to previous message
Frank
Please ask your question in ONE forum only. (if in doubt which one, use the Newbie forum)
Topics merged
Previous Topic: Same SQL script, same login, different workstation, different results!
Next Topic: Problem in Storing Arabic Characters in DB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 14:26:11 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05641 seconds