Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ODBC periodic disconnect from portable tablet PC
ODBC periodic disconnect from portable tablet PC [message #189217] Wed, 23 August 2006 11:52 Go to next message
TLegend33
A client is utilizing our software on tablet PC's. Our software connects to the Oracle instance via ODBC. They are experiencing periodic disconnects and are unable to continue their sessions from prior to the disconnection.
My thought is they're experiencing minor 'blips' in their wireless network connectivity, causing the database disconnect. Am I correct in saying that once a connection to the database is broken, a new connection must be made? Since the disconnection occurred, any non-committed transactions would be rolled back, thus preventing the user from continuing on where they had left off.
Are there any ODBC or DB settings that would allow the user to continue on with their session after the disconnection?

Thanks.

(also, I'm currently on 8.1.7, but in the process of validating our applications against 10.2)
Re: ODBC periodic disconnect from portable tablet PC [message #190843 is a reply to message #189217] Fri, 01 September 2006 09:35 Go to previous message
TLegend33
An update to this issue:
I found some information on-line about odbc settings and was able to make progress. The connection remains active as long as the client is using the application. If the user is inactive on the tablet for approximately 3 minutes, the next action within the application produces the disconnection error.

I modified the registry key to disable the odbc timeout:
(setting it to 0)
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\3.x\Engines\ODBC

I also implemented the below recommendations:

D. Tips on improving performance
It is possible to improve performance of the Oracle 8.x ODBC driver by implementing one or more of the following options:
Unchecking the following options in the ODBC Configuration Window:
- Enable LOBs
- Enable Result Sets
- Enable Closing Cursors
And/or checking:
- Disabling MTS Support (In 8i only)

While this did not resolve my issue, it did improve my applications response time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Previous Topic: SQLGate and Me
Next Topic: "ORA-12500 TNS:Listerner failed to start the dedicated server process"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:57:02 CDT 2024