Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package
DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186050] Sat, 05 August 2006 03:50 Go to next message
agrawal_vaibhao

Hi,
I m using oracle's DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT package in order to encrypt and decrypt string.
It works fine with string of data type varchar2.
But when i used string of data type Clob, it gives me error
'character string buffer too small'.

So Pls help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186262 is a reply to message #186050] Mon, 07 August 2006 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
Let me guess - you're passing a Clob of size >= 32767 bytes (or just possibly >= 4000 bytes) into a procedure or function that takes a Varchar2 Input, and all of a sudden it starts erroring?

I don't honestly know how you'd go about encrypting CLOBS over 32k in length, as the inputs for the Dbms_Obfuscation_toolkit entries are all either Vc2 or Raw
Re: DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186320 is a reply to message #186262] Mon, 07 August 2006 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agrawal_vaibhao

Ya i know that's the problem with DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package, that it does not support clob datatype so it gives me error.
Now can u plz tell me any other way to do encryption/ decryption.
Re: DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186322 is a reply to message #186320] Mon, 07 August 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
You OP gave the distinct impression that it was the 'Character String Buffer Too Small' that was giving you the problem.
Now we've got that sorted out, 30 seconds looking on Metalink turned up Note 244133.1, which is code you may download and use for doing encryption on BLOBs.
Looking at it, it should be fairly easy to convert to CLOB encryption.
Re: DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186425 is a reply to message #186322] Mon, 07 August 2006 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agrawal_vaibhao

Sorry, but i don't have user of oracle metalink.
Can u plz send me that downloaded matter at my email id
"vaibhao.agrawal@gmail.com".

Hope u don't have any problem regarding sending that article.

Thanks!

Regards
Vaibhao Agrawal
Re: DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186461 is a reply to message #186425] Tue, 08 August 2006 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
agrawal_vaibhao wrote on Tue, 08 August 2006 06:29

Sorry, but i don't have user of oracle metalink.
Can u plz send me that downloaded matter at my email id
Ouch. That would be an infringement of the terms of use, I'm afraid:
MetaLink Terms of Use

1. Use of Web Site Information
You may download, view, copy and print documents and graphics incorporated in these documents (the "Documents") from the Site subject to the following: (a) the Documents may be used solely for personal, informational, non-commercial purposes; and (b) the Documents may not be modified or altered in any way. Except where your use constitutes "fair use" under copyright law, you may not otherwise use, download, upload, copy, print, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, post, transmit or distribute any information from this Web site in whole or in part without the express authorization of Oracle.

agrawal_vaibhao wrote on Tue, 08 August 2006 06:29

Hope u don't have any problem regarding sending that article.
I do, not only because of the reason mentioned above, but also because this is a public forum. I don't believe that private sessions contribute to this forum. My motto on this subject: "ask questions here, get replies here."

Oh, and try to use plain English next time Wink This jibberish ('plz','u',...) hurts my eyes.

MHE
Re: DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT Package [message #186488 is a reply to message #186461] Tue, 08 August 2006 02:53 Go to previous message
JRowbottom
Maaher is unfortunately correct - I can't post the metalink article.

What you need to do, is to create a pair of procedures, one to encrypt the CLOB, and one to Decrypt it.
The encrypt procedure will split the CLOB down into chunks of 32767 bytes, encrypt them individually and concatenate them together.
The decryption procedure will reverse the process - split the data down into chunks, decrypt each one and concatenate them.
Previous Topic: Administrationquestion
Next Topic: How to deal with DATE format?????????
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 02 12:46:14 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15152 seconds