Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Segmentation/Partitioning
Segmentation/Partitioning [message #19181] Mon, 04 March 2002 09:21 Go to next message
uma
I want to partion my table into 2 and want to select by partition. Means if I partioned my table TABLEX into TABLE01, TABLE02. If I select TABLEX then I am able to see all the data and I want to do some query against TABLE02 which is part of TABLEX whenever needed. How to do this partiotioning? Is this based on some column name or number of rows or some date range etc.?

Thanks in advance

Uma
Re: Segmentation/Partitioning [message #19191 is a reply to message #19181] Mon, 04 March 2002 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pratibha
Hi,

Partition has to be made based on the column name of your requirement, it can be datewise, month & year or anything.

Next step is for selecting the partition, the command :

for ex:
If EMP table is a partitioned table that consists of 2 partitions, namely PART01 & PART02, for selecting from the 1st partition(PART01) the command used is :

SQL>select empno,ename,sal from EMP partition (PART01);

the above command will return all the rows that belong to the 1st partition ie., PART01

try it out & if u have any clarification,u can mail me.

Bye
Re: Segmentation/Partitioning [message #19194 is a reply to message #19181] Mon, 04 March 2002 19:56 Go to previous message
Somu
Hi,

As prathiba said you can use the specific partition to extract the value, but if you specify partition and the record does not exists in the particular partition, then your query will return no records, as the query does not search in all the partition.
Previous Topic: difference????
Next Topic: sql response
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:46:20 CDT 2024