Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Clear Temporary Tablespace
Clear Temporary Tablespace [message #183952] Mon, 24 July 2006 09:24 Go to next message
rafi_aamiri
Hi,

I need to clear the temporary tablespace.

Is there any SQL statement to do so...

Please help me in this regard.

Regards,

A.Mohammed Rafi.

Re: Clear Temporary Tablespace [message #183953 is a reply to message #183952] Mon, 24 July 2006 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
I seriously doubt that you do need to clear the temporary tablespace. What are you attempting to do?

If you are getting 'Unable to extend' errors, you need a larger temporary tablespace.

As far as I know, the only way to achieve what you think you want to achieve is to ensure that there is no-one else using the TEMP tablespace, and the best way to do that is to be the only user in the db.
Re: Clear Temporary Tablespace [message #183954 is a reply to message #183953] Mon, 24 July 2006 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rafi_aamiri
thanks for the reply.

there is no need here for me to extend the tablespace.

the only thing is to clear the temp tablespace.

is there any way ?

also i heard that at every startup of the oracle instance the temp tablespace get cleared.

is it the right answer ??
Re: Clear Temporary Tablespace [message #183956 is a reply to message #183954] Mon, 24 July 2006 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
Well, in a way it's true.
Data in the temp tablespace is only relevant to the session that was using it. Kill off all the sessions by bouncing the database and, yes, there is nolonger any space allocated in the TEMP tablespace.

BUT, bouncing the database is the wrong answer to pretty much any situation that doesn't have a piece of Oracle supplied documentation pinned to it which says 'Now restart your database'

AGAIN - why do you think you need to clear down the TEMP tablespace. If you can tell us what you're trying to achieve, we may be able to tell you how to do it.
Re: Clear Temporary Tablespace [message #183957 is a reply to message #183954] Mon, 24 July 2006 09:41 Go to previous message
JRowbottom
Are you by any chance trying to reduce the amount of space allocated to TEMP?
Previous Topic: insufficient privileges message
Next Topic: Synonym (Merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 08 21:57:13 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10911 seconds