Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g
Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #182208] Thu, 13 July 2006 11:44 Go to next message
OracleDeveloper
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
Hi All,

We have our product which is running perfectly fine on Oralce 9i. We are trying to upgrade the product to 10g. Once the database is upgraded and after the data is imported, we are facing few issues with CLOB data type values. We are using SQLGetData function to fetch data from these CLOB datatypes. The data is getting truncated when retriving. Oracle says, it is an issue with ODBC driver which was released with 10g Relase 1. I tried to upgrade the ODBC driver. This requires a newer version of Universal installer. I couldn't find it anywhere. I tried to upgrade it Oracle 10g Release 2. Still I am facing the same issue. The data stored in CLOB datatype is xml data. So after retriving the truncated data, XML parser is not able to parse the data.

Has anyone faced anything like this. your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #182230 is a reply to message #182208] Thu, 13 July 2006 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
Messages: 460
Registered: July 2005
Location: Stockton, California - US...
Senior Member
I was told CLOB datatype was not supported in the exp/imp utility. Is Oracle saying it is now?
Neil.
Re: Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #182500 is a reply to message #182208] Sat, 15 July 2006 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OracleDeveloper
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
I think it does. The reason why I am saying this is, it works fine after importing in SQL plus and when using ADO in VB. When you retrieve the values in SQL plus it gives you the correct result. Similarly, when you are using ADO in VB to fetch the data, the result is correct. So I guess the problem might be with SQL native interface methods(SQLGetData) or ODBC driver.

I just tried by updating Oracle 10g Release 1 with latest patch available. But still I am facing the same issue.

Let me know your views,
Thanks.
Re: Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #206532 is a reply to message #182208] Thu, 30 November 2006 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OracleDeveloper
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member

Oralce 10g CLOB Issues[ 3 votes ]
1. No Issues 0 / 0%
2. Few Issues 1 / 33%
3. Issues during migration 2 / 67%

Hi,

I was wondering whether I am the only one facing this issue.
I have created a poll which would help me in identifying whether there is any issues with the way we are struturing our import/export. I would encourge you to please vote in the poll.

Thanks,
Vikram.
icon8.gif  Re: Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #206758 is a reply to message #206532] Fri, 01 December 2006 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OracleDeveloper
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
OracleDeveloper wrote on Thu, 30 November 2006 08:04
Hi,

I was wondering whether I am the only one facing this issue.
I have created a poll which would help me in identifying whether there is any issues with the way we are struturing our import/export. I would encourge you to please vote in the poll.

Thanks,
Vikram.


No votes yet (:
Re: Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #466750 is a reply to message #206758] Tue, 20 July 2010 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AKSHAYD
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2010
Location: PUNE
Junior Member
Hello I am here facing the same problem Mad ... where My SQLGetData function is not working as expected and this is happening when we have non-English char in the CLOB Column.

My data is always getting truncated excatly at 500 length.
ODBC is replacing 500th char by some DOT or char in the memory.
and then put rest of the data in the buffer.

We have tried so many things like fetching data in chunks or fetching it in one go... it dosent make any difference it is giving same result.
when I reverted back CLOB to LONG for perticular column,SQLGetData is working fine.

So the conclusion is : SQLGetData is not working properly with CLOB Datatype.

for more discussion on this ...please mail me on akshay.r.deshmukh@gmail.com
Mad
Regards
Akshay



Re: Issues with CLOB datatype in Orcle 10g [message #466751 is a reply to message #466750] Tue, 20 July 2010 23:17 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Messages: 25046
Registered: January 2009
Location: SoCal
Senior Member
It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
It would be helpful if you provided Test Case - http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Test_case
It would be helpful if you provided expected/desired results & a detailed explanation how & why the test data gets transformed or organized.
Previous Topic: Tracking DBMS JOB timing
Next Topic: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Dec 08 00:27:56 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08973 seconds