Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » IMPOSSIBLE: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
icon4.gif  IMPOSSIBLE: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [message #170882] Fri, 05 May 2006 13:13 Go to next message
quantass
My client PC is using Windows 2000 Pro and Oracle 10g v10.2.0. Using the Enterprise Manager Console GUI I've connected to the database successfully. Its connection information when selected reads:
---
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=summer)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=cooler)(SERVICE_NAME=coolman.ca)))
---

When creating the Net Config Assistant and the Local Net Service Name Config, I was successful at Testing the connection.

The problem I'm having is to do with backing up the database. When i try "exp" from the DOS console window I get the error message:
---
EXP-00056: ORACLE error 12560 encountered
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
---
I've tried doing: "tnsping" and got back the following response:
---
C:\Documents and Settings\jrain>tnsping cool

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 05-MAY-2
006 13:39:45

Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = summer)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = coolman.ca) (SID = cooler)))
OK (2390 msec)
---
It seems to be fine.

What also confuses me is "exp" asks for a username/pass. I have no idea what this is so I've tried my Windows user account login/pass, the login/pass for the "cooler" dbase, "scott/tiger", and "sys/manager". It always returns with the same error message.

I am able to succussfuilly login into SQL Plus with the login/pass of the "cooler" dbase and the host: summer.

Under the registry there is the entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
There is a subkey "KEY_OraClient10g_home1". Under the \Oracle key there is a data=value entry:
VOBHOME2.0=C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1
inst_loc=C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory

Under the \KEY_OraClient10g_home1 key there are several entries including:
ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1

WRT to tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, and listener.ora, they are all located under folder: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN

TNSNAMES.ora contains the following info:
---
COOLER =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = summer)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = coolman.ca)
(SID = cooler)
)
)
---

SQLNET.ora contains:
---
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)
---

And LISTENER.ora contains
---
LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = summer)(PORT = 1521))
)
---

I've tried executing the line "start lsnrctl" from the RUN window but it returns with an error that the service doesnt exist. Someone told me this is normal if your PC isnt actually the host system with the server.

I want to backup the entire dbase. Again the dbase is NOT on my local PC. Also my ORACLE_HOME is currently set to: "C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1" and is set in the Windows 2000 environment variables for the system. Also ORACLE_SID is set to "cooler". There is only one installation of Oracle 10g on this client PC.

Please help me get over this hurdle so that I can begin to backup the dbase.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IMPOSSIBLE: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [message #170901 is a reply to message #170882] Fri, 05 May 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
if/when you get desparate, you might want to visit http://tahiti.oracl.com & RTFM
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/toc.htm
or
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14213/toc.htm
Re: IMPOSSIBLE: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error [message #173882 is a reply to message #170882] Thu, 25 May 2006 01:37 Go to previous message
krbits
Hi,

First of all ,you need to connect to the clinet PC.Once u r successful login as system/manager and type host.Once you comeout of sql .TYpe the following command.

path:>exp system/manager file=('newbackup.dmp',newbackup1.dmp',.......' ) size [value in MB] full =y and log 'newbackup.log';

Hope the above command is known to you,but u have to give username/password as system/manager and start exporting the database.

with regards,
Srinivas K.r.
Previous Topic: Recover database using only RMAN that is backupt with third-party Media Manager, CommVault Galaxy.
Next Topic: Cannot import from full backup - 8i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:09:01 CDT 2024